Sunday, May 25, 2008

Summertime Blues Club (05.24.08, 7:00PM SLT)

I really don't go out of my way to play two shows in a day. I figure, first, my own small but loyal group of fans don't need to be subjected to me twice in 24 hours, and second, I don't want to deliver a burned-out second show after expending all my energy on the first one. So, this doubleheader day came about as a result of my accepting an offer to play at Summertime Blues Club without looking at my calendar to realize that this Saturday fell upon the every-third-Saturday of my regular show at Stonehenge.

So, Saturday evening, I found myself back at Summertime Blues Club, where I'd done one show previously. I really like playing places that I don't play all the time... there's a challenging aspect of winning over new folks who aren't familiar with you and don't know what to expect. I don't think I recognized more than 2-3 names in the crowd beyond my darling Kat and the club's owner HoneyBear Lilliehook.

One important note: out of respect to folks who DO come to both of my shows in a short time frame, as well as avoiding burnout, I try and do a completely different set list between consecutive shows. While some of the tunes get repeated (especially my originals), you'll note that 90% of the tunes are different between this show and the one I did earlier in the day, although I'll cop to having closed with "Heart of Gold" for one show and opened with it for the next. Hey, it was on my music stand already, my harmonica was out, and I'm lazy. Shoot me. :D

Song Sample: "Soul Kitchen" (The Doors)

The set list:

Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix)
Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
Losing My Religion (REM)
Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
She's Always a Woman (Billy Joel)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
The Weight (The Band)
Black Peter (Grateful Dead)
Soul Kitchen (The Doors)

Thanks to the following folks who supported my show:
Kat Claxton, ZeZe Ember, Gregg Meads, Georgia McDonnell, Timber Oceanlane, Sinful Devin, Melissa Whetmore, Ladyhawk Merlin, Sinful Devin, and especially Axe Bikcin and HoneyBear Lilliehook!

No comments: