Saturday, March 7, 2009

Grand opening of StrangeBrew (03.06.09)



I'd met Alex Parsons a few times in the same way other SL musicians tend to meet... performing at the same venues or randomly catching each other's shows at various places. He seemed like a nice enough guy and obviously was comfortable commanding a stage. A couple of weeks ago, I received a general notice that Alex had opened his own venue, calling it Alex's StrangeBrew Coffee House. I went over and checked it out, and it seemed like a pretty cool-looking build. I like places that can feel jammed when there are 25-30 people there, and this is one of those places. Not that it's cramped or anything; it's nicely laid out, but the way the dance zones and seating areas are laid out, it feels like a fun party inside.

I congratulated Alex on the build and told him I'd try to come by on his opening night. He, in turn, asked if I wanted to play that night, and I said that sounded fun. It did turn out to be fun; his opening night had Freestar Tammas, Artel Brando, and Alex himself performing. I ended up taking the stage at about 8:00, and had a great time with a fun crowd of people.

And here's what I played...
Tribute (Tenacious D)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Starman (David Bowie)
Stonehenge (Spinal Tap)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
I Am The Walrus (Beatles)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Any Major Dude (Steely Dan)

Thanks to all who came, especially those folks who supported my show:
Ariel Goldrozen, Kamisha Tyles, Sandi Benelli, Artel Brando, Aurelie Chenaux, AnnieBlue Octavia, Kat Claxton and the new venue owner himself, Alex Parsons!

No comments: