Sunday, April 12, 2009

Another new demo song (04.12.09)

I have a good problem.

I had decided awhile ago that 11 songs was a pretty good total for my first album. Why 11? Pretty simple; as we all know, most music today is purchased online via downloads, from places like iTunes, Amazon MP3, Rhapsody, and so on and so forth. And we also know that most songs sell for $0.99, and albums sell for around $9.99. So, to make an album worthwhile for a listener to want to buy, it should have a value worth more than the sum of its parts. Therefore, an album needs at least 11 songs to cost $9.99. Res ipsa loquitur.

There are also limits to what one can include on an album, due to the fact that at some point, it also needs to be put on a physical medium such as a compact disc. The compact disc is still a pretty cool way to store and distribute music, even with its popularity on the decline. You can put about 80 minutes of music on a CD, which is a lot; my entire album of 11 songs should clock in as such:

1. Lines On Your Eyes (3:35)
2. You're Like a Cloud (3:34)
3. Falling Down (4:13)
4. This Afternoon (3:16)
5. Come Around (3:04)
6. The Sands of Redondo (4:35)
7. Time Never Waits for You (4:12)
8. Always Tomorrow (3:11)
9. Thanks Anyway (3:01)
10. Waxing Gibbous (3:30)
11. Waiting for This (6:04)

So that's only a little over 42 minutes, and obviously, we have room for more music. And therein lies the problem; I am definitely anxious to finish the recording of this album and get it out there, but at the same time, I keep writing songs, and it's entirely possible that I can include them on this album.

All that having been said (and I hope you didn't doze off while reading that crap), I have a new demo tune that you can check out. No lyrics yet, and only a half-assed melody that I can hum at the moment. But it seems like it could be a strong song, and I'm still debating as to whether it a) goes on the album in addition to the current list, b) goes on the album in place of one of the other songs that I have yet to record, c) is put out as a single while I'm working on the next album, or d) is just put on the shelf until we record the next album.

Decisions, decisions. In the meantime, here's the new song idea. Enjoy.

No comments: