Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fibber Magees (10.14.09)


I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but somehow I ended up having shows scheduled every other day. On 10/12 it was my debut at Z's. Today (10/14) was a show at Fibber Magees. Friday 10/16, I'm rocking over at Rastafairy Beach. Finally, I'll do a half hour set for Ictus Belford's birthday party at Crystal Gardens on Sunday 10/18. Whew! glad I made that commitment to "stop playing so often". I'm glad that's working out for me.

Regardless, I find myself enjoying each show in a different way. Today was at Fibber Magees, and I invariably have such a fun time playing there. For one thing, it was nice to get back to doing some more covers in my set. I know, I'm supposed to be promoting my original music for the pending album release, right? But any musician who plays the same songs over and over -- even his or her own -- will tell you that it's fun to perform something you haven't done in the last few days. Or weeks. Or possibly months.

Another thing that makes Fibber Magees a great place to play is the vibe of the crowd. Maybe it's me, maybe it's them, but in any case, I find myself laughing a lot during my shows there. Today was no exception. Anyway, I'm always glad to have the chance to play at any of the Dublin venues, mostly due to the great efforts of Cher Harrington and the hosting staff. They not only bring in a cool crowd, but make sure everyone (including the artist) feels welcome and enjoys themselves. A lot of places could learn a thing or two from watching Cher in action. Just saying.

Today's set list at Fibber Magees...
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Bertha (Grateful Dead)
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
Just Like Starting Over (John Lennon)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
Rock and Roll Woman (Buffalo Springfield)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Tea on the Sahara (The Police)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Soul Kitchen (The Doors)

Thanks to everyone who helped make it a great show!
Diana Renoir, Mac McLeod, Steven Hynes, MaryJoanne Sideways, Archangel Maruti, Aurelie Chenaux, hexx Triskaidekaphobia, Isobela Capalini, today's hostess Phooka Heron, and the effervescent Cher Harrington!

No comments: