Monday, October 26, 2009

Glance Pink Ball (10.24.09)



A couple of weeks ago, I had kind of an odd experience. A gal I wasn't really familiar with asked if I could perform at a place I'd never been before. Well, that isn't odd in and of itself; that happens all the time. But as I started to talk to her about the details of the show -- where, when, my standard fee and so on -- she became elusive. Asked me to come see the place (I did), told me about it (I listened), but seemed to have trouble committing to hiring me. I came very close to telling her, "Thanks but no thanks."

As it turned out, the reason for her reluctance to give me more details was that it was a show for charity... a very worthwhile charity, "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer". She wanted me to play for free, and was hesitant to ask me to do so. Here's a word of advice for folks: many musicians are happy to be able to help lend a hand for charity shows, but the best way to do it is to come right out and tell them what it is you're doing! You don't need to sell them on the idea. Either they're going to be into it, or not, and it's based on the performer's own priorities as to whether or not they want to donate their time and money to the cause. So, while I probably wouldn't do a free show to "Save the Wombats" or something, there wasn't a moment of hesitation once I understood this was a show to fight breast cancer.

Before I go on to the details of the show, there's no better time than the present to give you a few facts...

• The American Cancer Society says there are 192,370 new cases of invasive breast cancer in 2009, along with 40,170 deaths.

• Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States, other than skin cancer. It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.

• The chance of a woman having invasive breast cancer some time during her life is a little less 1 in 8.

• As a result of more awareness (leading to earlier discovery) and better treatments, breast cancer death rates have been going down. Right now there are more than 2½ million breast cancer survivors in the United States.

Nearly all of us will know someone who will be affected by breast cancer, either directly or indirectly. It's a cause I certainly believe in, and I was glad to lend a hand in my small way to fight this disease!

So, on to the show.

Glance International Agency is one of SL's premiere fashion and modeling businesses. The show I did on Saturday is at their main headquarters in SL, a kind of mall with a large room for fashion shows. So, there at the head of the runway (cue Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy"), I set up and did my usual Zak Show. As you blog readers know, it's important to me to get new listeners for my music, so performing before a good-sized crowd of folks who'd never heard me before was a good opportunity on a personal basis. And, as I said, all proceeds for the day -- which included a fashion show as well as my gig -- were donated directly to the ACS. There was a large kiosk next to me as opposed to my usual tip jar, and hopefully we raised some good funds during the hour I was onstage doing originals and covers.

The Set List...
Wonderwall (Oasis)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Rikki Don't Lose That Number (Steely Dan)
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
Time Never Waits for You (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
California (Joni Mitchell)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Fire & Rain (James Taylor)
Tea in the Sahara (The Police)
Jane (Barenaked Ladies)

Thanks to the folks who came out to the show and helped fight breast cancer!
Rhonda Pennell, Veronica Krasner, Herradura Baar, Kat Claxton, Wicca Merlin, Nefertiti Kimagawa, Arisia Ashmoot, ladysunfire Erin, Aurelie Chenaux, Sanders Beaumont, Dunia Moulliez, Trance Mistwallow, Sibilla Peccable, Antuanet Forcella, Triana Caldera, Darzian Silverfall, morgynn Hancroft, Miaa Rebane, nathalie Ember, and GIA owner Patty Cortes!

No comments: