Wednesday, October 7, 2009

New studio track: Always Tomorrow

LISTEN NOW! "Always Tomorrow" (Zak Claxton)

Here's one of the final songs for my upcoming album. It's called "Always Tomorrow", and unlike most of my music, this one was written about something specific, and it has some meaning to me. For those who don't already know...

For a couple of years, my ladyfriend Kat and I dealt with the dreaded long-distance relationship. She was in Seattle, being a code slave for Microsoft. I was here in LA, 1,000 miles south of her, living la vida loca (or not). We'd make trips to see each other... we'd go to places like San Francisco and Vegas, or we'd meet in Seattle or in LA. Each of these trips was for 3-4 days, and then we'd be apart again for another month or two. Or more.

So, inevitably, on the last day of the trip, try as we'd might to enjoy ourselves, we'd be sad, knowing that it would be awhile before we saw each other again. That was the muse that inspired me to write this, and it's the feeling I invoke when I perform it. The happy ending: a year ago, she moved to be with me in LA, so "tomorrow" eventually came around. When I play this live, I pre-announce it as a song about keeping a promise.

As usual, you can hear all the mixes from the upcoming album (including "Always Tomorrow") on the music page of my official website.


No comments: