Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sydney's Live Music (10.03.09)



Sydney's is a beautiful new live music venue in SL, and when I visited there during the grand opening a couple of weeks ago, I let the owner, Sydney Baddingham, know that I'd like to play there sometime. As I've mentioned on this blog before, it's pretty important for me to keep seeking out new folks who can hear my music, and playing at new venues is a good way to do that.

No matter where you play, in real life or SL, there's always the possibility that you run into some technical headaches, and unfortunately, that's exactly what happened at the start of my show at Sydney's. Here's the weird thing: half of my audience could hear me just fine. The other half got a whole lot of nothing. After about four songs of having some people be sad because they were standing in a silent room, we finally did something I rarely do: I stopped, and changed over to a different stream. Sure, it took a couple of minutes, but the result was worth it; everyone could then hear me. Whew! Truth be told, I've been lucky in that I've had very few problems with SL or my stream in the last year or so, but the secret when they inevitably do happen from time to time: don't panic, fix what you can, and just keep on rolling through.

Getting past the technical issues, the show itself went very well. I thought my playing and singing were both behaving nicely, and the crowd seemed to be having fun. I even took a rare request at the end, but only because it came from Cher Harrington and at that point I was relived that people were hearing me at all.

Set list from Sydney's
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Court & Spark (Joni Mitchell)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Time Never Waits for You (Zak Claxton)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash)

Thanks to those who helped support my show! Thanks!
Cher Harrington, Kat Claxton, Soundcircel Flanagan, Aurelie Chenaux, Diana Renoir, and Syd Baddingham!

No comments: