Thursday, September 2, 2010

Notes Shack (09.02.10)

FREE LIVE SONG #1: A Case of You (Joni Mitchell)
FREE LIVE SONG #2: Redemption Song (Bob Marley)

The Notes Shack. Photos courtesy of Diana Renoir.


I suppose today could have started out crappier. Like, someone could have thrown a brick at my head. So, since that didn't happen, we'll not complain too much about the fact that right before my show at the Notes Shack in Second Life, a construction team was using jackhammers, drills, and circular saws directly outside my window. We won't mention little work-related frustrations and whatnot, or the fact that I have a sore throat and may have a cold coming on.

We also won't waste time talking about the fact that even after I arrived at the venue (thankfully, while the construction crew seemed to have taken a lunch break, whew), things didn't go so hot. For the first time in quite awhile, something borked my stream, and my audio was stuttering in and out for my listeners. This is literally the worst thing that can happen at a virtual show, and I seriously considered just calling it a day, apologizing to the people who were there, quitting SL, and curling up into a fetal position for the next 18 hours or so.

However... even when things seem their worst, sometimes you gotta keep fighting through, and every once in awhile you can push past all the bad shit that's trying to knock you down. I took a deep breath and set up a different stream, and presto-bango: people could hear me again. I was half expecting it to go out again, but it managed to hang in there, and I did the last 40 minutes of my set uninterrupted by techno glitches from hell.

That's me in the spotlight.


A number of times, I've found myself pissed off, or otherwise in a dark emotional state that is rare for me (I'm usually a pretty freakin' happy dude), and it does tend to bring out good music performances. I don't think the trade-off is worthwhile; I don't like going dark. But I will say that the songs really worked well once I got up and running.

Notes Shack Set List...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Black Peter (Grateful Dead)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Go Easy On Me (Zak Claxton)
After the Goldrush (Neil Young)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
†A Case of You (Joni Mitchell)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
††Redemption Song (Bob Marley)
Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young)

†Last performance of "A Case of You": 09.13.09 at the Notes Shack, oddly enough.
†† Last performance of "Redemption Song": 06.30.08!

Thanks to everyone who hung out through the technical issues and stuff! Turned out to be a cool show... thanks to you who supported it:
Aiden Witrial, Delinda Dyrssen, bob Savagard, Edith Ogleby, Diana Renoir, Kat Claxton, Idella Quandry, and especially Notes Shack madman Krakov Letov!

No comments: