Thursday, November 11, 2010

Report: Zak Live on StreamJam ep. X (11.10.10)



VIDEO LINK

When I scheduled last night's show on StreamJam, I didn't know a few things. First, I didn't know that I'd end up breaking a tooth, requiring a series of hellish dental work. Second, I didn't know that the dental appointment I had for that morning would leave me in a position where it would be all but impossible to sing. Third, I didn't know (due to other factors that shall remain nameless) that I'd end up having one of my worst days in recent memory.



But when it came time to do the show, while a lot of other people would have probably canceled it, I felt that performing was probably the best thing I could do to get myself -- mentally and emotionally -- back on track. While singing was out of the question (since I could barely open my mouth at the time), I'm not just a singer; I'm a musician who (in the words of Pink Floyd) plays a mean guitar. So that's what I did: played guitar for an hour, though I did manage to mumble my way through one tune. Some stuff was purely improvisational; others were songs that I've written recently that I performed without singing; still others were renditions of my well-known tunes that I simply did without singing. One thing that I did quite purposefully: I didn't make any big announcement of the show, since I knew I wouldn't be able to deliver my usual kind of zany fun, and didn't want anyone to come who would think this was my typical performance.

But all in all, it was actually pretty interesting, and was definitely a change of pace for both myself and the few people who were there.

StreamJam #10 Set List...
Improv in G (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon - Instrumental (Zak Claxton)
You're Like a Cloud - Instrumental (Zak Claxton)
Triana - Instrumental (Zak Claxton)
Waxing Gibbous (Zak Claxton)
Desert Song - Instrumental (Zak Claxton)
New Song in D Modal - Instrumental (Zak Claxton)
Waiting for This (Zak Claxton)
DADGAD Improvisation (Zak Claxton)
Mood for a Day (Yes)

Thanks to all who helped support my show and cheered me up at the same time!

No comments: