Thursday, January 6, 2011

Report: Zak Live on StreamJam ep. XIII (01.05.11)



VIDEO LINK

Does the start of the video above seem a little abrupt? Well, that's because I forgot to hit the "record" button until about halfway through my show, heh heh. Since I'm a "glass in half full" kinda guy, I'll just say I'm happy that I remembered to record at all.

Anyway, for my first StreamJam show of 2011, we had a very fun time. I really didn't make a bunch of hoopla about the show; it's my busiest time of year at work right now, and I wasn't inclined to hype the hell out of a show that I wasn't sure would be very great. It's tough to perform your best stuff when your attention is spread out in fifty directions. However, it did turn out to be a good time for me and my little crowd of friends and fans.

Rocking old and new friends. Photo by Kat.



As usual for my StreamJam shows, I only did songs that I am licensed to do... namely, my own originals, and a traditional gospel blues. I realized that in the case of several songs, I'd actually put them aside for long enough that I enjoyed playing them again, which is a good feeling.

SJ XIII Set List...
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Triana (Zak Claxton)
In My Time of Dying (Traditional)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Waxing Gibbous (Zak Claxton)
Waiting for This (Zak Claxton)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
The Sands of Redondo (Zak Claxton)

One special surprise, for me, at this StreamJam show was the unexpected presence of my best childhood friend, Randy Williams. As you can see on the video, I was ecstatic when he popped in, and I regaled the crowd with stories of our first band together, circa 1982-1984. Having old friends get involved in stuff you're doing nearly 30 years later... priceless.

I don't know what I'd do every few Wednesday nights if not for StreamJam. Photo courtesy of Triana.



Huge thanks to everyone who came out to the show!

No comments: