Saturday, June 25, 2011

Liquid's first rehearsal in four years



I spent this afternoon doing something I love: rocking hard with a band in a garage. It was the first time since 2007 that my old band, Liquid, got together to make some noise.

As I've recently mentioned, this rehearsal was our first time back together in preparation for our reunion show, scheduled for July 23 at Keegan's Pub in Torrance, CA. My expectations were pretty high; Liquid was a pretty tight band with really good individual musicians, so I didn't think that four years away from each other was going to completely negate the simpatico we'd had when we were playing live all the time.

After our 3-hour jam today, I have to say that our playing exceeded my already-high hopes. Sure, there were a couple of tunes where we weren't 100% nailing everything, and we each had our individual moments of clamdom (my favorite was Dante's kick pedal foot going into auto-mode on "Good Times, Bad Times"), but altogether, I feel that we were actually tighter than we were at the end of our gigging days. Who knows why? Maybe the time away from our own set list gave us some better perspective on the songs. I can tell you that we've all stayed busy at music in various ways since then, with Phil and Randy both performing in their respective bands and Dante always in demand to sit in, or play on sessions (and my solo performing show I've done since 2007).



Whatever the reason was, I'm really confident that the show on 7/23 is going to be phenomenal. We got through a good chunk of our set today in rehearsal... here are the tunes we rocked today (obviously using the alphabetical order of the set list).

Alright Now - Free
Baby Please Don’t Go - Various
Back In The USSR - Beatles
Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
California Dreamin - Mamas & Papas
Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
Come Together - Beatles
Communication Breakdown - Led Zeppelin
Custard Pie - Led Zeppelin
Dazed & Confused - Led Zeppelin
Everybody Wants You - Billy Squire
Gimme Some Lovin’ - Spencer Davis Group
Good Times, Bad Times - Led Zeppelin
Hard To Handle - The Black Crowes
Heart Breaker/Livin’, Lovin’ Maid - Led Zeppelin
Helter Skelter - Beatles
I Don’t Know - Ozzy Osbourne
I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick
Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
Jenny (867-5309) - Tommy Tutone
Love Me Two Times - Doors
Man In The Box - Alice in Chains
Mary Jane’s Last Dance - Tom Petty
Money - Pink Floyd
My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
Tie Your Mother Down - Queen

One more rehearsal to nail down the rest of the songs in two weeks, and then we'll be ready to rip it up at Keegan's on the 23rd!

No comments: