Thursday, June 23, 2011

Relay for Life Ultimate Auction (06.22.11)



A few minutes after I finished my benefit show last night for Friends Fighting Cancer, a Relay for Life fundraising team in Second Life, I got a message from their chief, a guy named Zander Greene. It said, "You also might like knowing that this is the 3rd time you've played for a Friends Fighting Cancer event this year and your current 2011 total with our team is more than 50,000 Lindens. That just rocks, mate!"

Well, that put a smile on my face. "Lindens" are the currency used in Second Life, and what that means to the rest of you is that in performing three shows in 2011 for this charity, I've raised about $200 USD this year alone. Is that a ton of money? No. Is it going to cure cancer on its own? Probably not. But the fact is that I'm making use of my music that goes beyond my own income, or my own ego being stroked. By playing music -- something I love to do and would be doing regardless -- I am actually giving a little bit of help to someone who desperately needs it. That, as they say, is all good.

My view from the stage. Photo by Kat.



The crowd has fun while generously making donations to the RFL kiosks. Photo by Kat.



As mentioned above, this was my third event in 2011 for RFL, and I've done at least one or more per year for the past four years. This time, it was in support of FFC's "Ultimate Auction", where people could bid on exclusive items to help raise funds for the American Cancer Society. My role was simply to get people to come over there and check out the auction items, and meanwhile encourage people to donate to the familiar RFL kiosks that were scattered around the place. The show itself went just fine. I tend to choose songs for these charity events that are complementary to the theme of a positive outlook, giving, and helping (and avoiding songs about death, dying, and depression, as you would imagine).

RFL FFC Setlist...
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
Comes a Time (Neil Young)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
You've Got a Friend (Carole King)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Just Like Starting Over (John Lennon)
One (U2)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
After the Goldrush (neil Young)
California (Joni Mitchell)
Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)

Thanks to everyone who helped support my show and fight against cancer! Special mention goes to the FFC team of Pinky DeVinna, Joonie Jatho, and Zander Greene! They are cancer's worst nightmare!

No comments: