Thursday, June 2, 2011

Report: StageIt Show #1



I did my very first show on the online live music platform StageIt last night, and I can guarantee that it won't be my last.

In a nutshell, StageIt is a web site where people can go and see live music shows via streaming audio and video. The artists who perform there can set tickets prices for the shows, and depending on the performer, it can be a set fee or it can be a "pay what you can" situation. The audience can also tip the artists during the show. Both tickets and tips are paid in StageIt's currency, called "notes". Basically, an audience member purchases "notes", with each note costing $0.10 (i.e., 10 notes = one dollar). They can then use them for show tickets and tips. Simple enough.

StageIt's tagline is "A front row seat to a backstage experience," and it's an apt description. The audience is able to communicate directly with the artist (and with each other) via a chat interface. Those of you who are familiar with Ustream will recognize this type of system, with one major difference: no ads! Yes, those annoying pop-up ads you get on Ustream are not part of StageIt's business model, and let's hope it stays that way.

So, enough background. My show last night was a 30-minute performance, which is the longest that StageIt allows. I found it to be fine; I did six of my original songs in the time allotted, all of which went well. StageIt also allows artists to do an encore, but I'd pretty much planned on a cut-and-dried half hour show, so for this time, I stuck to the plan. Due to it being my first show there (and StageIt still being relatively new and unknown to many), we had a small crowd, but they were all cool people.

StageIt #1 Set List...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)

Huge thanks to the StageIt people, and the following people who supported my show!
Kat Claxton, Thea Dee, Triana Caldera, Brandy Maltas, Ayesha Lytton, and anyone I missed!

No comments: