Friday, August 12, 2011

The Majestic (08.11.11)


I had a very interesting day involving the Second Life music scene yesterday. I'm not going to get into details, but something that happened inspired me to do something I'd never even considered doing in the nearly five years I've been in SL: write a letter to the CEO. At this stage, it's a guy named Rod Humble, and the upshot of the story is that I'd noted a situation that seemed to be unfair toward the long-term members of the SL music family. I wrote the letter more to vent my frustration at that situation, and wasn't really expecting a response.

But respond he did, and quickly. Rod, as it turns out, is a guy who really seems to understand the needs of SL's residents, and (here's a rare quality in a CEO) knows the difference between right and wrong... and is willing to act on it. Long story short: Rod sent me back a nice note agreeing with my sentiment, and perhaps as a show of willingness to make right on a wrong, the announcement of my show at The Majestic was re-Tweeted by the official Second Life Twitter feed last night. Uncalled for, but very nice, and much appreciated.

The official Second Life Twitter feed, helping to spread the word about my show last night. Very, very nice of them. Thanks, SL!



Anyway, enough of that, and onto the show. I played after Zerbie Magic, another experienced SL performer. It's funny; Zerbie and I have styles that couldn't be more different (she's a pop/R&B singer who performs live to recorded tracks, while I'm a guitar-strumming silly singer-songwriter guy), but it was nice having someone there before me so I didn't feel that the burden of bringing every single avatar to the venue was on my shoulders. She's a talented singer too, so it's always cool having some comparable musical skill in the same evening, even if our styles are 180 degrees apart.

As you can see, we had a nice-sized crowd of Zaksters and general SL folks. Everyone seemed to be having fun. Mission accomplished. Photos by Triana.



Whether it was due to SL's tweet or some other factor, we had a much better crowd at the Majestic than we've had in recent weeks. As I've mentioned, the 6PM weekday slot is just packed with shows, so any time we get 20+ people in a venue at that time, I'm a happy camper. The Zaksters were out in nearly full force... except (notably) my darling Kat, who was at that moment on a plane to Seattle to visit her family. Still, we had lots of fun, and musically I think it went very well, continuing a string of recent performances that left me satisfied.

Majestic Set List...
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
If You Could Only See (Tonic)
Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)
Hunger Strike (Temple of the Dog)
Edith and the Kingpin (Joni MItchell)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
Man of Constant Sorrow (Traditional)
Polly (Nirvana)
Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)
Better Man (Pearl Jam)

Big thanks to everyone who came out to the Majestic last night, especially those who supported my show!
Diana Renoir, Triana Caldera, Alexis Fairlady, Charm March, Dottie Idlemind, Wayne Kira, Aurelie Chenaux, Cobalt Niles, Christine Haiku, my lovely manager Maali Beck, and Majestic manager Kalli Birman! And, once again, thanks to Rod Humble and the SL marketing team for giving me a little hand. It's the small stuff that matters, and it's appreciated.

1 comment:

Thea said...

Wow... now you have my curiosity up about what you have been observing. I am glad you got a response and that you had a good show.