Monday, July 16, 2012

Lavender Field/Feed-a-Smile (07.16.12)


Jeez, I've written so many press releases lately for my real life job as a marketing weasel that I almost began this blog post as such...

REDONDO BEACH, CA (July 16, 2012) -- Singer-songwriter Zak Claxton performed another successful event for the Second Life arm of the "Live and Learn in Kenya" charitable organization. Operating at the Lavender Field venue, the "Feed-a-Smile" program, run and administered by Brique Zeiner, has just finished its second year of international fundraising in the virtual world. Proceeds from the live music concerts held at Lavender Field go directly toward food and education for the children of the Rhonda Slums in Nakuru, Kenya.

But who wants to read shit like that? Instead, I'll tell you my real perspective. This is my third time playing at Lavender Field, and as a musician, I can't think of a more fulfilling gig. The reason why is simple: every penny you make goes directly to these kids who badly need it, without any huge bureaucracy between the donors and the recipients. So, while you're playing, you know that you'll have this direct and immediate impact on the kids' lives.

Small crowd, big hearts. Thanks for coming out, Zaksters. Upper photo by Kat, this photo by Triana Caldera.


As many of you already know from my last show there in December of 2011, I was just floored by the photos I got of the kids enjoying their "Zak Claxton Meal". I mean, I'm proud when I can scrape together a decent dinner for myself, Kat, and my son, much less a hundred hungry kids. By simply playing music for an hour -- something I love to do anyway -- I was a part in giving those kids a nice little feast. As I said then and continue to feel today, it doesn't get any better than that.

Last winter, I got the ultimate pre-holiday gift when the LLK kids drew me on their chalkboard (an excellent likeness, may I add). Photo courtesy of Brique Zeiner.


Today's show had a small crowd (Monday in the mid afternoon isn't the prime time for show attendance, after all), but we still raised some respectable cash. Quentin Whitman played before me, and I enjoyed his music while I got ready to play. Then I played my own shit and it went something like this, as Eazy-E once said.

Lavender Field Set List...
Hunger Strike (Temple of the Dog)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Change (Tears for Fears)
Across the Universe (Beatles)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
The Crystal Ship (The Doors)
Daniel (Elton John)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Don't Let It Bring You Down (Neil Young)
Fire and Rain (James Taylor)
Look Out for Me (Zak Claxton)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)

Thanks to everyone who came out and donated to "Feed-a-Smile" today! The kids aren't the only ones smiling... so am I!

No comments: