Sunday, July 15, 2012

Relay for Life 2012 Finale (07.14.12)


Performing at the RFL Finale in Second Life has been one of my favorite annual charity-based events I've done over the years. This year was certainly no exception. The pride I take in helping raise money for the American Cancer Society is a great reward on its own, and it's more than enough compensation for the hour I spend on a Saturday playing music.

The Finale event is, of course, where the actual namesake relay occurs, so while the participants cruised around the large digital trail made of many adjoining SL sims, there's a cool stage built in a central point where people can hang out and listen to live performances. I followed Eliz Watanabe, and had a really nice-sized crowd made up of both relayers and a good turnout of Zaksters.

My Kat takes a self portrait during my RFL show. Photo by Kat.


Sassy Nitely, my good friend in SL known in real life as Barbie Horsley, performed after me, and Kat and I hung out and listened to the entirety of her show. Without taking anything away from other SL artists, Sassy is in a small group of performers who leaves no doubt that she brings plenty of real-life performing experience to her SL gigs. It's always a pleasure when I get to hear her play, and it's great that she and I both share the services of a great manager, Maali Beck.

The event itself (and indeed, this entire season of RFL) was a huge success. Between all the various teams and events, they've pulled together L$84,634,319 for the cause this year. For you non-SL people, that's $338,537 USD... very real dollars coming in from virtual worlds.

It was excellent to have a great turnout and, more importantly, a generous crowd who really added some L$ support to RFL while I played. Photo by Kat.


I try and pick songs that work well within the theme of an RFL event... nothing too morbid, and leaning toward songs that have an optimistic or positive vibe. Kat and I, with our dark humor, have shared ideas for songs that would definitely not be a good idea to perform at an event such as this. I won't repeat them here, but take my word for it that we are both demented people.

RFL Finale 2012 Set List...
Pigs on the Wing (Pink Floyd)
Everyday I Write The Book (Elvis Costello)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)
California (Joni Mitchell)
You're LIke a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Just Like Starting Over (John Lennon)
Thank You (Led Zeppelin)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
I Like You (Zak Claxton)
My Heart (Neil Young)
The Rainbow Connection (Kermit the Frog)

Many, many thanks to everyone who supported my show yesterday, and throughout the RFL fundraising season! I'm proud of all of you who helped make a difference!

No comments: