Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Whisky A Go Go in Second Life (09.18.12)


My landlord of 17 years is finally selling the building. He was roughly 119 years old when I moved here in 1995; by now, he must be getting ready to settle down and enjoy his golden years. Or die, or something, but in any case, he's selling the building. Last night, awhile after my show at the Whisky A Go Go in Second Life, he came knocking at my door with an estoppal certificate clutched in his ancient hand. This is standard operating procedure for anyone selling a commercial property. It confirms the basic lease info for the potential new owners during the escrow process. I call them "potential" because this old building has myriad problems that come with almost all old buildings. It's entirely possible that their deal could fall through and I'm once again stuck with my Methuselah of a landlord.

As to what will happen should the sale go through is anyone's guess, though it's my suspicion that the new owners will want to keep their current batch of tenants (there are four units here, with my place being the large 2-story one in front). There's also a possibility that they will want to gut the whole place, which would obviously involve a major upheaval, and possibly result in my having to move for the first time in many years (either temporarily or permanently). However, I'm not going to worry about any of that shit; I'll deal with it as it becomes necessary. For the time being, let's change the subject and talk about my show last night.

No matter where I live, I still can rock in virtual worlds. Photo by Kat.

As my only show this week, I was hoping that the Zaksters came out in nearly full force, and they didn't disappoint me. I recycled a theme that I thought went well the last time I did it... "Two for Tuesday", that old staple of FM rock radio where two songs by the same artist are played in a row. The show came together very nicely as a result. It also provided a good excuse to add a couple of new songs to my cover repertoire, both of which went very well.

My "Two for Tuesday" shows at the Whisky all seem to work out well. Photo by Kat.

One other thing I'd like to mention from a singer perspective: pitch center. Ask any professional singer, and they'll tell you that their voice doesn't behave exactly the same way every time they open their respective mouths to sing. Last night, for reasons unknown, my pitch center was smack dab on the money. That meant I could do things that real singers do, with controlled vibrato and so on, without worrying that my overall pitch would wander sharp or flat from the intended note. That was great; I'd love to know precisely why it was working so I could replicate it for future shows.

Whisky Set List...
Free Man in Paris (Joni Mitchell)
Carey (Joni Mitchell)
*Everlong (Foo Fighters)
Learn to Fly (Foo Fighters)
*Learning to Fly (Pink Floyd)
Welcome to the Machine (Pink Floyd)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
My Heart (Neil Young)
My My Hey Hey (Neil Young)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in Second Life.

Gigantic thanks to everyone who came to the show... thank you! Much appreciation to those who also helped support it!
Triana Caldera, TheaDee, Docxhoovie, Kat Claxton, Alexis Fairlady, Cicadetta Stillwater, my manager Maali Beck, and Whisky host Dmitri Polonsky and owner Cameron Trenchcoat!

No comments: