Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Surreal Estates Fall Festival (10.29.12)


I'd been looking forward to my show at the Surreal Estates Fall Festival. I like performing at special events when I can, and this one looked like it was going to be particularly cool. The folks at Surreal Estates had put together a very fun fair, complete with rides and games, so I was anticipating that there would be some good-sized crowds there who would also check out any live music that was happening there.

What I didn't anticipate when the show was booked weeks earlier was that Hurricane Sandy, the largest Atlantic storm in recorded history, was going to hit the eastern seaboard at the same time as my show. However, unlike other shows where I don't get a huge turnout, there was no whining on my behalf. I was only concerned with the safety of my friends and colleagues who live in the affected areas, and I was pleased to get the group of folks who did show up (some of whom were braving the storm from its strongest points). As if in sympathy to their plight, my power here actually fluctuated for a moment during the show despite having no reason to here on the calm West Coast.

I was grateful for anyone who made it into SL to watch my show during the hurricane. Photos by Kat.

I decided to keep the song selections on the mellow side. As I said during the show, with people's nerves as frayed as they likely are right now, playing my edgier stuff wasn't going to help the matter.

Fall Festival Set List...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Across the Universe (Beatles)
*Like a Hurricane (Neil Young)
Brain Damage/Eclipse (Pink Floyd)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Better Man (Pearl Jam)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
The Crystal Ship (The Doors)
Go Easy On Me (Zak Claxton)
Tangerine (Led Zeppelin)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL. That's right; I've never before played "Like a Hurricane". Seems impossible, but it's true. I really had no choice other than to whip that one out, under the circumstances.


Thanks to everyone who came to the show despite the craziness going on, especially those who helped support it!
Allyson Breumann, Triana Caldera, February Jinx, TheaDee, Kat Claxton, my manager Maali Beck, and Surreal's Sharon57 Braveheart!

No comments: