Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Whisky A Go Go in Second Life (10.23.12)


Through a series of unpreventable circumstances, it had been a few weeks since my last 'weekly" show at the Whisky in SL. On Tuesday 10/9, I had a work-related conflict, and on Tuesday 10/16, the new owners of the townhouse that I call home started the process of re-roofing the place, and I wasn't about to do a show while hammering and sawing was going on a few feet above my head.

So, it was great to get back there last night. I'd had an insanely hectic work day (it's a busy season in my field of marketing for the music/audio industry), and was still cranking out stuff on deadline at 4:30 when I finally shut down that aspect of life and found time to pick some songs for my set. I flipped open the vintage Trapper Keeper folder that my Zakster fans so thoughtfully got for me awhile back, and randomly pulled out a couple of tunes. They both happened to start with the letter "P", and that gave me an idea. At first, I was going to do an entire show of songs that began with "P", but it turned out that I didn't really feel like doing some of those. So, I spread the selection to include "S" songs as well, and that became my theme. "P's and S's". Hey, why not?

One fun thing about doing gigs in SL near Halloween: your fans might show up looking like just about anything. Cicadetta Stillwater does her imitation of my new garden spider friend. Photo and top photo by Kat.

I don't need huge crowds at places like the Whisky... just a smattering of people who are really enjoying the tunes. Photo by Kat.

The show itself went really well. Granted, the Whisky doesn't have the huge crowds of places like Key West or Warung Beats where I'd played over the weekend, but there's a looseness there that is very low key, and we did end up pulling in a decent enough number of people to make it a show worth playing.

A final note: I must once again miss my Tuesday night show at the Whisky next week, but for a very good reason: my son is performing on trumpet with the wind ensemble and jazz band at his middle school that night. That's a show I just can't miss!

Whisky Set List...
*Pigs on the Wing - Parts 1 & 2 (Pink Floyd)
People Are Strange (The Doors)
Polly (Nirvana)
Pulling Mussels From a Shell (Squeeze)
Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)
Powderfinger (Neil Young)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Sour Girl (Stone Temple Pilots)
*Stir It Up (Bob Marley)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crafts)
Six Underground (Sneaker Pimps)
Shine (Zak Claxton)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL. For the Pink Floyd tune, I'd never done "Part 2" of that tune.

Big thanks to you Zaksters and other folks who came out to the Whisky, especially those who helped support the show!
Triana Caldera, james2561 Aeon, TheaDee, Cicadetta Stillwater, Kat Claxton, my manager Maali Beck, and Whisky host Dmitri Polonsky and owner Cameron Trenchcoat!

No comments: