Sunday, December 2, 2012

Lavender Field (12.01.12)


It's actually been a number of months since I had the pleasure of performing at a charitable benefit in Second Life, so I was quite pleased to get on a bill with my friends Sassy Nitely (aka Barbie Horsley) and Lyndon Heart at Lavender Field's Feed-A-Smile event on Saturday.

Sassy, Lyndon and I are all clients of Maali Beck Entertainment, and we're all good pals as well, so it was not only a terrific day of raising funds for a very worthy cause, but also fun as hell too. If you haven't read one of my previous reports from Brique Topaz's Lavender Field, let me fill you in. This Second Life location supports the Feed-a-Smile organization. Feed-a-Smile is a benefit that funds Live and Learn in Kenya, and they sponsor education for kids in Africa who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to go to school, and to make sure those kids are fed well enough to be in a position to learn. Brique has worked it out so that every L$100 spent (less than $0.40 USD) in donations at the shows allow one kid to get one hot meal.

When artists perform at Lavender Field, they waive their performance fees and instead of tips, all funds raised go straight to the charity. Between Sassy, Lyndon, and myself, our generous fans kicked down 201 meals, in the form of L$20,100 donated while we played. That's about $75 USD, which isn't bad at all and will help make those kids' lives better for a short while. I also used the occasion to pull our a few covers that I hadn't done before.

A very rare smile on my avatar's face. Perhaps my digital self recognizes when I'm doing something good. Photo and top photo by Kat.

Superfan Thea Dee hangs out with Sassy Nitely, and Lyndon Heart boogies while I perform. Photo by Kat.

After my show, Kat and I hung out to listen to Lyndon's set. Poor Triana made it to the show while suffering with a bad stomach. She gets extra karma points for that. Photo by Kat.


Lavender Field Set List...
Pigs on the Wing -- Part 1 (Pink Floyd)
*Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
Teach Your Children (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
Hunger Strike (Temple of the Dog)
The Sands of Redondo (Zak Claxton)
I Am A Child (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Frigid Spring (Chairlift)
*Strawberry Fields Forever (Beatles)
*Are You Experienced (Jimi Hendrix)
Long December (Counting Crows)
Pigs on the Wing -- Part 2 (Pink Floyd)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Thank you to everyone who made this day of fun and fundraising a big success! Special thanks to my friends Sassy, Lyndon, and Maali for doing what you do.

No comments: