Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Islands of New England (02.05.13)


I'm a fun guy (no, not a fungi, as some people tend to believe). I like having fun, and I like people around me to have fun as well. There's a time and place for seriousness, even in entertainment, but you won't often find me being grim or full of gravitas. Especially when there's a guitar in my hands and an audience in front of me, my natural state is one of silly, and it gets all the more easy to put on a fun show when I'm performing at the Islands of New England in SL.

Christine Haiku, who manages the entertainment at the venue, has also become a friend of mine over the past couple of years. As an artist, there's no better ticket to a good show than being comfortable and confident, and performing for one's friends is the absolute best in that regard. Last night's show was, as a result, terrific. Also, I love the opportunity to add new friends/fans to my audience. When I first arrived, long before my show started, there were a couple of folks hanging out there, dancing together in furry avatars. Christine and I invited them to hang out and enjoy the show, and they really did. I hope to see both of them again at subsequent shows.

So, all that was great. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), my voice and guitar were both behaving nicely, and the hour completely flew by. As my first full Zak Show after my business-related hiatus that took me out of performing for most of January, it couldn't have gone better. I do need to give a special shout-out to Celeste Ewing, a fan who made it to the show despite being in a (thankfully minor) car accident near her house. Please, people, no need to hurry home just to hear me yodel at you!

Islands of New England set list...
Wonderwall (Oasis)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)
Are You Experienced? (Jimi Hendrix)
Time Never Waits for You (Zak Claxton)
Jane (Barenaked Ladies)
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (Beatles)
Cheer Up Christine (Flight of the Conchords/Zak Claxton)
Radio Free Europe (R.E.M.)
Blue (Joni Mitchell)
The Sands of Redondo (Zak Claxton)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)

Big thanks to everyone who helped support my show!
Hells Lobo, Celeste Ewing, Barbara Mixemup, Sassy Nitely, GMetal Svartur, Sesh Kamachi, TheaDee, my manager Maali Beck, and the lovely manager of IONE, Christine Haiku!

No comments: