Sunday, March 3, 2013

Molaskey's Pub (02.28.13)


Sweet baby Jeebus, it was a helluva week. Emphasis on "hell". Continuing through Friday, I had a variety of minor but annoying physical ailments that combined to put me in a generally vile mood. Add to that a bunch of semi-frustrating work-related challenges, and the extreme need to take a little time off (see more on that below), and by the time I was starting to prep for my show at Molaskey's Pub in Second Life on Thursday afternoon, I was a hairbreadth away from canceling the show altogether.

Why? It's simple: I didn't think I was going to be in a good enough mood to put on a fun show for whoever showed up. It's nothing more complicated than that; my show is predicated on helping people forget their troubles, and certainly doesn't involve adding to them with my own complaints. It really wasn't until about 5PM... the hour before my show began, when I gained the confidence that I could pull off my usual fun entertainment experience. Also, as I'd mentioned to Kat earlier that day, I knew from experience that I'd spend the rest of the evening (and possibly the whole weekend) moping had I not stepped up and done the show as planned.

More good reasons to play: my stablemates at Maali Beck Entertainment, Sassy Nitely and Lyndon Heart, were slated directly before and after me at Molaskey's. It wouldn't have been cool to remove the meat of that delicious musical sandwich, and I was indeed that slice of baloney for the evening's festivities. So, I sucked up my self pity and did my show, and I'm glad I did. We didn't have a big crowd by Molaskey's standards, but I found the act of performing to be therapeutic for myself, so it wouldn't have mattered if no one at all was there. Thankfully, we had a number of cool people who really seemed to enjoy and appreciate the performances by Sassy, Lyndon, and myself.


Photo and top photo by Kat.



Photo by Cicadetta Stillwater.



Photo by Cicadetta Stillwater.

In any case the show was fine, and fun for me and the folks who were there. It'll be a little while before the next time you see me rocking the virtual world; next weekend, my darling Kat and our friend Triana are taking a much-needed trip to the Mojave Desert to relax and enjoy one of my favorite places, Joshua Tree. You'll be able to see me next on Saturday March 16, at an event for Relay for Life.

Molaskey's Set List...
If It Makes You Happy (Sheryl Crow)
Jack Straw (Grateful Dead)
Go Easy On Me (Zak Claxton)
*Creepin' (Stevie Wonder)
The Crystal Ship (The Doors)
Love Hurts (Everly Brothers)
Free Man In Paris (Joni Mitchell)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Like a Hurricane (Neil Young)
Everlong (Foo Fighters)
Loser (Beck)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Thanks to all who came to the show, especially those who leant their support!
Christine Haiku, Cicadetta Stillwater, Kat Claxton, Sesh Kamachi, Sassy Nitely, my great manager Maali Beck, and Molaskey's GM Mia Kitchensink!

No comments: