Thursday, July 11, 2013

Key West (07.10.13)


Key West is such a consistently good place to play in Second Life, it astounds me. There will be many nights where I would swear that there's no way in hell I'd be able to gather a good crowd, and yet Key West somehow makes it happen. Last night is a good example. I knew for a fact that there were dozens and dozens of shows at 6PM (not unusual on a typical weeknight, but the schedule seemed even more packed than usual). I didn't care; I never allow those concerns to affect what kind of show I do.

However, I shouldn't have given it a second thought, or even a first. By the time I was a couple of tunes in, we had a really decent-sized gathering of people, and everyone seemed pretty enthusiastic. Perhaps someday, something will happen where I can honestly say that I had a mediocre or poor show at Key West... but it hasn't happened yet. They're always good, and I have to say that it all comes back to the efforts of owner Liz Harley and hostess Coreopsis Bluebird.

Good crowd, good tunes, good times. A typical weeknight show at Key West. Photos by Triana.

Word to the wise: do not leave your avatar unattended when Triana and Diana are around. Bunny, about to be molested by two of my lovely Zakster ladies. Photos by Triana.

A couple of notes; first, it's been fun adding some more new covers to my repertoire. A couple of the songs I debuted at Triana's celebration a couple of weeks ago -- Sublime's "Doin' Time" and Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open the Door" -- have made it into my regular set. Second, we had a completely shocking surprise audience visit by Bunny Racecourse, aka Bunny Knutson (my bandmate in They Stole My Crayon). I'm pretty sure Bunny hasn't been in SL more than 2-3 times since he joined in 2006, so it was great to see him there. Even better was the fact that he left his avi parked while doing some real-life chores, thereby allowing him to be molested by my Zakster girls.

Key West set list...
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Day After Day (Badfinger)
Let My Love Open the Door (Pete Townshend)
Long Time Gone (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
Doin' Time (Sublime)
What I Got (Sublime)
Space Oddity (David Bowie)
Fire & Rain (James Taylor)
Waterloo Sunset (The Kinks)
Who Do You Love? (Bo Diddley)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)

Massive thanks to everyone who supported my show at Key West... can't wait until the next one!
Elyza McGinnis, Diana Renoir, Triana Caldera, Kite Bravin, me3, Kerli Pexie, Jukebox Diesel, SummerSails, samsam Newbold, Alexis Fairlady, and most of all, the person who keeps Key West rocking year in and year out, Liz Harley!

No comments: