Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Islands of New England (07.24.13)

While it may seem like I'm making out with Sesh Kamachi in this photo, I assure you that I'm merely giving him a sweaty man hug after my show. Photo by Aurelie Chenaux

Yeah, it would seem that I played two consecutive shows at the Islands of New England in SL. But that's not quite true. Last week, I performed at a benefit show for the Feed-A-Smile charity; for this week's show, we got back to doing my typical Zak performance, where things were just silly and wacky, and hopefully mixed in with some good music as well.

My friend who runs the IONE, Christine Haiku, had asked me to cover "Take On Me", that 1986 tune by Norwegian synthpop group A-ha -- yes, the one with the revolutionary (at the time) music video. I never asked her why she wanted me to do that tune, though I had the idea that it was some inside joke between her and our other pal Sassy Nitely (aka Barbie Horsley). It didn't matter; I did the song. As most of you children of the '80s know, the chorus of the song ends on a ridiculously high note. It's an E4, and it's four whole notes out of the upper register of my falsetto voice. Throwing caution to the wind, I did it anyway, and may have permanently damaged my gonads as a result. Ah, the things we do for our art, and to make our friends laugh.

Testicle injury aside, it was a fun show, and I'm always glad to play at the IONE, where it always seems to be fun. I also got to follow Jukebox Diesel, who is a fantastic performer whose music I always enjoy. Bonus!

IONE set list...
It's Good to be King (Tom Petty)
Here Comes the Rain Again (Eurythmics)
*Take On Me (A-ha)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Walk On The Wildside (Lou Reed)
Leggy blonde (Flight of the Conchords)
Alabama Song (The Doors)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
Rock and Roll Woman (Buffalo Springfield)
Sister Golden Hair (America)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Change (Tears for Fears)

*Indicates the first -- and likely last -- time I've performed this song in SL.

Big thanks to everyone who came out and supported my show at the Islands of New England!
Darcy Kingmaker, Noma Falta, Sassy Nitely, Aurelie Chenaux, Lyric Serendipity, TheaDee, Sesh Kamachi, Hawkwind Kegel, JennaPiper, Jukebox Diesel, my lovely manager Maali Beck, and my great pal Christine Haiku!

No comments: