Friday, October 11, 2013

Crystal Gardens (10.10.13)


Well, this was a surprise.

A few days ago, my most excellent manager Maali Beck sent me an email, asking if I'd like to do a show on Thursday night. Checking my calendar, I said that it seemed like a fine night to perform in Second Life, but where would I be playing, I asked. Her response? "For Sandi at Crystal Gardens".

I couldn't have said yes any more quickly. A short history: I got into SL in 2006 and started performing pretty quickly as soon as I discovered that such a thing was possible. In 2007, I happened to meet Sandi Benelli, and she booked me for my first regular gig in SL, at her venue which was them called Crystal Sands. Most of the people who were among my earliest fans (and friends) in SL first heard me perform there. So, I've always felt close to Sandi and welcomed any opportunity to perform at her place.

Photo and top photo by Kat.

Thursday night's show was really good, for a couple of reasons. The top of that list is that we had a crowd of people who were silly and belligerent. I've said before and I'll say again: it's not the size of the crowd (though we did have a good-sized crowd there), it's the quality of the crowd, and we had a good collection of people enjoying the hell out of themselves at Crystal Gardens. Secondarily, the show itself was good. My material and performance both were adequate for my own standards, so I'm cool with all that.

Crystal Gardens set list...
Is She Really Going Out With Him? (Joe Jackson)
I've Been Waiting for You (Neil Young)
A Horse with No Name (America)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Mexico (James Taylor)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
Tangerine (Led Zeppelin)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
After the Goldrush (Neil Young)
Walk on the Wildside (Lou Reed)
Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
Tea for the Tillerman (Cat Stevens)

Huge thanks to everyone who saw me return to Crystal Gardens, especially the following who helped support the show!
FrankLee Anatra, Diana Renoir, Petty Pichot, Allegra Genira, Aurelie Chenaux, TheaDee, Sesh Kamachi, Richy Nervous, Cicadetta Stillwater, Guilherme Alenquer, Sassy Nitely, Kat Claxton, my manager Maali Beck, and most of all, Crystal Gardens owner Sandi Benelli!

No comments: