Saturday, April 12, 2014

Key West (04.11.14)


Well, well, well. I had just about convinced myself that I was destined to have a terrible day yesterday, after getting up and discovering that my laptop's hard drive was on the verge of failure. I was not a happy camper at all, and several times mentioned to Kat that the whole situation was horribly depressing. However, once I stepped back and looked into some options, I realized that life wasn't going to end just because I had a computer issue to deal with. Adversity happens to everyone in many forms, and in the grand scheme of things, a computer biting the dust is pretty minor. I just needed to have a little perspective on the matter.

By the time 5PM rolled around and I was starting the stream for my show at Key West, I'd shaken off my big helping of self pity, and was able to enjoy performing for a nice big crowd. My only qualm at that point was wondering if the computer would actually last through the show, and it did. All was well.

As I mentioned, Key West tends to be able to pull in people better than just about any other live venue in Second Life, and although I had the dreaded 5PM time slot (where inevitably, there are dozens and dozens of shows to grab people's attention), audience members started flowing in from the get-go. Since I'm in the midst of my "April Showers" mini-tour of SL, I'm making sure that each show has a very individual vibe so that my fans/friends who are coming to multiple shows can have a fresh experience. I certainly didn't repeat any tunes that I'd done the previous evening, so at least there's that.

My Key West crowd enjoying the show. Photo and top photo by Kat.

Tell me this isn't a lovely SL build. Key West is just awesome. Photo by Kat.

I didn't really have a specific theme last night at Key West, but the songs seemed to have a good degree of continuity as I flowed through my set. Not that all were the same genre or the same tempo or anything like that... which would be boring as hell. Instead, there's an indefinable quality of music that I call "vibe", and you can hear a commonality of vibe between songs of many varieties.

Key West set list...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Never Run Away (Kurt Vile)
Take Me To The River (Al Green)
Swing Lo Magellan (Dirty Projectors)
All I Want (Joni Mitchell)
On a Plain (Nirvana)
Things Under Trees (They Stole My Crayon)
I Like You (Zak Claxton)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Say Goodbye (Beck)
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)

Big thanks to all who came to my show at Key West, especially the following who helped support it!
Tabitha Oxide, Trowzer Boa, Jolie Serendipity, heavenlei Lexenstar, Maximillion Kleene, TheaDee, QuintenDelius, Maurice Mistwallow, Richy Nervous, gwampa Lomu, Shannyn Fall, Tyro Hollwood, Aurelie Chenaux, Vampireratz Lupino, Kat Claxton, my manager Maali Beck, and Key West hostess Coreopsis Bluebird and owner Liz Harley!

No comments: