Monday, October 1, 2018

Relay for Life Benefit at Second Life Cheerleading Squad (09.30.18)

SL Cheerleader Squad HQ is all decked out in a '50s-style theme for their RFL event. Photo by Kat.

When my manager Maali Beck asks if I'm interested in performing at a show supporting a trusted charity, my answer is nearly always a resounding "yes". It had been awhile since I'd done anything related to Relay for Life, the fundraising arm of the American Cancer Society, so I was glad to jump in and help.

In Second Life -- and almost certainly in any life, for that matter -- there are many different approaches to fundraising. Some of them are very focused, such as Frets Nirvana's monthly benefit shows for Homes For Our Troops, where you have a dedicated host who continually pushes the reason for being there and sets up programs like angel donors who match the funds, and so on. Others, like the Second Life Cheerleading Squad, do it in a much more casual way where they host a series of live performances and just happen to be donating whatever funds come in that day to the cause. To be clear: neither way is right or wrong, good or bad, and so on. Any charitable effort is to be commended.

Rocking the SLCS crowd for a good cause. Photo by Kat.

This was definitely one of the larger-sized venues I've played in Second Life. Photo by Kat.

It was my first visit to the headquarters of SLCS, a large football stadium-like structure with a big mezzanine. The stage itself was setup on the field. We had a good-sized crowd for the event, and while I have no way of knowing how well the event did or how much was raised, it's my general assumption that based on the generosity of my Zakster fans at previous fundraising events, we helped make an impact for on obviously great cause.

SLCS/RFL set list...
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
Strawberry Fields Forever (The Beatles)
Airport Bar (Martin Courtney)
Ripple (Grateful Dead)
*As Tears Go By (Rolling Stones)
One of These Things First (Nick Drake)
Blew the Dust Away (They Stole My Crayon)
Waiting for the Sun (The Doors)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Teach Your Children (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
America (Simon & Garfunkel)
Brain Damage/Eclipse (Pink Floyd)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Huge thanks to all who attended and gave to the cause to help fight cancer!

No comments: