Friday, May 27, 2011

The 69'ers


I've never been ashamed of my age, except when I was in grade school. I had skipped kindergarten, and was therefore a year younger than damn near everyone else in my class. So I did what most kids would do under those circumstances: I lied, and said I was a year older than I actually was. This became so habitual that years later, I still tended to claim an extra year on my age. Funny, huh?

Well, especially now that I'm a little older, getting deeper into my 40s, I don't mind revealing the truth: I was born in 1969. As it turns out, there's a good-sized list of interesting people who were also born that year. Since I have a birthday coming up in a little over a week, here are a few of the people who share my birth year, in order of their respective birth dates:

- Dave Grohl (Musician)
- Bobby Brown (Singer)
- Chaz Bono (Child of Cher and Sonny Bono, gay/transgendered rights activist)
- Bunny Knutson (Musician)
- Paul Rudd (Actor)
- Joe Buck (Sports broadcaster)
- Renée Zellweger (Actress)
- Eagle Eye Cherry (Musician)
- Cate Blanchett (Actress)
- Emmitt Smith (Football player)
- Steffi Graf (Tennis player)
- Ice Cube (Rapper/Actor)
- Joe Sakic (Hockey player)
- Jennifer Lopez (Singer/Actress)
- Edward Norton (Actor)
- Christian Slater (Actor)
- Matthew Perry (Actor)
- Nate Dogg (Rapper/Singer)
- Jack Black (Actor/Musician)
- Dweezil Zappa (Musician)
- Rachel Hunter (Model)
- Catherine Zeta-Jones (Actress)
- Gwen Stefani (Singer)
- Brett Favre (Football player)
- Nancy Kerrigan (Figure skater)
- Sean "Diddy" Combs (Whatever)
- Matthew McConaughey (Actor)
- Sam Cassell (Basketball player)
- Ken Griffey, Jr. (Baseball player)
- Jay-Z (Rapper)

In case you were wondering, I'm chronologically right between Emmitt Smith and Steffi Graf, which isn't a terrible place to be, I suppose.

1 comment:

R. said...

As a fellow 69er, I mark my progress parallel to Brett Favre, also born on 10/10.

When he retired for the last time, well, yeah... heavy blow there.

-ls/cm