Friday, August 21, 2009

Bryant & Stratton College in SL (08.20.09)



I played a private show yesterday at the Second Life location of Bryant & Stratton College, a real-life educational facility that mostly does online classes. This is the second time I've performed for these folks, and I had a terrific time.

What's so terrific about playing for people who are in the midst of trying to wrap their heads around SL? Good question. Obviously, when people are saying things like, "How do I walk? Can I change my clothes? How does this work?" and so on, it might be a little distracting for people who are otherwise trying to entertain a crowd with live music. But let me tell you something: the opportunity to perform for people on their very first experience with Second Life is terrific. I can tell you that immediately after my show (which was, by the way, pretty well attended, with about 30 people in the crowd), I had five people who were there friend me on Facebook. That's terrific, and it's a more immediate reaction than I get from most of the shows where I play for seasoned SL veterans.

Since this was a two-hour event, and I've learned that playing for two straight hours doesn't always produce great results from me (like, my voice going away entirely after about 90 minutes of singing), I recommended that they bring in another great SL live artist - Kaklick Martin - for the first hour. One nice thing about Kaklick for this show is that he has plenty of experience performing for SL n00bs, so I knew he'd be good for this show, which he was.

Listen now! Song Sample from Bryant & Stratton show -- 08.20.09: "Thanks Anyway" (Zak Claxton)

My set list...
Wonderwall (Oasis)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Rikki Don't Lose That Number (Steely Dan)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Fire & Rain (James Taylor)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Old Man (Neil Young)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
A Day in the Life (Beatles)
Nowhere Man (Beatles)

Thanks to the Bryant & Stratton students and staff who came to the show!
Kimbles Bikergrrl, Drake Feldragonne, Denise476 SpiritWeaver, Renee Taurus, Bryant Stratten, AmyWoo Runner, Shannon1099 Edenflower, dernachtvogel Zufreur, oldnavy170 Bigboots, Traylorman Lane, shanti69 Bumblefoot, Fieramore Loxingly, MJOHNSON1306 Somerset, smiley1974 Pawpad, ChrisGais Mocha, Teresina153 Sandalwood, miah09 Static, malinda Lorakeet, and PaulsMom Afterthought, as well as Kaklick Martin, Kat Claxton, and the terrific Turn Pike!

No comments: