Friday, August 19, 2011

Molaskey's Pub (08.18.11)


It had been a few months since the last time I played at Molaskey's Pub, and the most recent show I played there was that weird situation where someone had purchased the venue, only to be forced to back out at the last minute. It all turned out good, since Molaskey's original owners Apple MacKay and Katydid Something were able to keep the place running with the help of Thinkerer Melville as an investor, and by cutting the operating hours down to four shows per week from their previous ten.

The end result was that one of SL's finest live music spots stayed open, and I was very glad to get back there again last night. What makes Molaskey's great? It's simple: they have the most dedicated team of people running the place, and all of them are true fans of good music. When you go see a show at Molaskey's Pub, it's almost guaranteed that you'll be hearing the most talented and/or entertaining people in Second Life.

Ah, Molaskey's. Many years of good times for artists and audiences alike. Photo by Kat.



So, enough history, and on to my show. I got a boost of enthusiasm when I found out I'd be performing at 6PM and being followed by Lyndon Heart, one of my personal favorite SL musicians, at 7PM. We're a good fit in terms of the type of material we play, and I had a feeling it was going to be a good night as a result. I wasn't wrong. As I've been doing lately, I reached a little deeper into my song list and played a few that have become rarities in my repertoire.

Molaskey's Set List...
Losing My Religion (REM)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
†Across the Universe (Beatles)
After the Goldrush (Neil Young)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
*Expecting to Fly (Buffalo Springfield)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Love Hurts (Everly Brothers)
Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)

†My last performance of "Across the Universe" was on December 10, 2007! Holy crap!
*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in Second Life.


One of SL's best venues? You bet. Photo by Kat.



One more particularly cool thing came out of last night's show: Lyndon and I will be back at Molaskey's on Thursday September 15, but in a slightly different format: we're going to dual-stream, meaning that from the audience's perspective, we'll be performing together! I have always wanted to get into this type of thing in SL, and I can't wait to see how it goes!

Many thanks to the great friends/fans who helped support my show at Molaskey's!
Tyra Jakob, Diana Renoir, Thinkerer Melville, Cicadetta Stillwater, Kat Claxton, Aurelie Chenaux, Mia Kitchensink, Xerxes Ninetails, my manager Maali beck, and Molaskey's wonderful owner Katydid Something!

No comments: