Monday, January 30, 2012

The Islands of New England (01.30.12)


Ah, what a good feeling it is to get back to playing live after a few weeks of... not.

As I mentioned to the crowd tonight at the Islands of New England, since I was forced to take a hiatus from playing live due to an annual business obligation, performing at that super-fun venue on a bill with my good friend Sassy Nitely was more than I could have asked for my return show. It was a lively and fun crowd primarily made up of many people who I've come to think of as friends, so I had as good a time as anyone... perhaps better, now that I think about it.

My view from the stage at the Islands of New England. Photo by Kat.


As most musicians are, I'm a harsh critic of my own performances, and I could tell that just a few weeks off had left me a little rusty. Despite some minor vocal and guitar issues that popped up now and then, I was still happy with the show, all things considered. Speaking of rustiness, my having forgotten to remove the phone from this room was a good example of something I never do when I'm in the flow of gigging in SL, but it was still pretty funny when it rang in the midst of an otherwise very quiet tune.

One more thing: the hosts of the venue decided to make it a themed event there, and chose "Ugly Sweater Night". I have to admit, for those people who participated, there were some excellent examples of what not to wear in SL -- or any other life -- unless you have a good excuse. My baby-blue patterned sweater with matching scarf was rather fabulous, but I don't think it'll find its way out of my inventory ever again, sadly.

Maali claims that my sweater wasn't exactly ugly, which I have to admit is true. However, it is decidedly something that you generally wouldn't see me wearing in any life. Photo by Kat.


The Islands of New England Set List...
What I Got (Sublime)
Wonderwall (Oasis)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
Jane (Barenaked Ladies)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Accidents Will Happen (Elvis Costello)
After the Goldrush (Neil Young)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Soul Kitchen (Doors)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
California (Joni Mitchell)

Big thanks to everyone who made it a fun night at the Islands of New England, espcially those who helped support my show!
Kiran Sporg, GMetal Svartur, Sommer Shepherd, Diana Renoir, Alexis Fairlady, Kat Claxton, Sassy Nitely, Xerxes Ninetails, Jwheels Carver, Sesh Kamachi, TheaDee, Gideon McMillan, my great manager Maali Beck, and IONE managers Adam Luponox and Christine Haiku!

No comments: