Monday, March 18, 2013

Relay for Life -- Paisley Park (03.16.13)


It's early Monday morning, and unlike many people (including my neighbors who were still loudly partying at 11PM last night), I don't have a hangover from yesterday's St. Paddy's Day festivities. Being that I don't drink, it's pretty easy for me to avoid being hungover, though I seem to still have some degree of food coma from last night's devouring of corned beef and cabbage. Still, I'm feeling rather positive, and that's a good time to talk about my benefit show for Relay for Life that I did at Paisley Park on Saturday in Second Life.

While this was my first time at Paisley Park, it certainly wasn't my first RFL show. Every Spring, I make it known that I am very much available to perform at these fundraising events, and it always feels good to know that I made even a tiny difference in the fight against cancer. I've done multiple RFL benefits each year from 2007 onward. As you're probably aware, Relay for Life is the official fundraising arm of the American Cancer Society, and teams in Second Life have become strong contributors to that cause for each of the last seven years. The method is simple; I perform live music, but instead of taking a fee and accepting tips as per my usual shows in SL, every penny goes straight to the RFL's coffers. All fees are waived, all tips go into the now-familiar white oval-shaped contribution kiosks.


We had a nice little crowd of generous people at my first RFL show of 2013. Photo and top photo by Kat.



Super Zakster Thea Dee dances while I encourage the crowd to donate. Photo by Kat.


For my show on Saturday, I decided to keep things interesting by throwing in a couple of tunes I'd never played before. Kat had been after me for some time to do "Shock the Monkey" in-world, so I happily obliged. I was also happy to perform one of the new tracks off the fantastic Bowie album which was officially released just last Tuesday.

RFL Paisley Park set list...
Pigs On The Wings -- Parts 1 & 2 (Pink Floyd)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
*Shock the Monkey (Peter Gabriel)
On The Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)
Thank U (Alanis Morissette)
Teach Your Children (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
Space Oddity (David Bowie)
*Valentine's Day (David Bowie)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
Daniel (Elton John)
Save It for Later (English Beat)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Huge thanks to all who came out to the show and contributed toward the cause. You are ALL heroes! Damn, I should have played that Bowie tune too. Maybe next time.

No comments: