Saturday, July 6, 2013

ROMA & Triana's Music Trivia (06.23.13)


Alright, before I do anything else, let me acknowledge that this post is almost two weeks late. I'd offer explanations of various kinds, but basically it comes down to 24 hours available on any given day, and my ability to spend those hours in ways that don't drive me insane. Therefore, sanity intact, here's a belated report about my shows from a couple weeks ago.

ROMA
ROMA is the role-playing sim devoted to ancient Rome. Thanks to my wonderful manager Maali Beck, who is a member of their community, I've performed there a number of times over the past couple of years. It would be great if I could play a full hour of music and stay 100% in character to their Roman theme, but a) my Latin is pretty rusty, and b) at least I put on a cool toga when I play there.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating: I do enjoy doing weekend shows at relatively early hours. My show at ROMA was at noon, which is great on a Sunday; it allows me to sleep in, have breakfast, and still have plenty of time to warm up and do a good show. Plus, we tend to get some people at those shows who can't make it to many of my typical evening performances due to time differences in their area of the world. I also managed to try out one new cover at ROMA, and I changed the Who's "Athena" to "Minerva" as to not offend any Roman locals.

The people of ROMA are very nice, and I look good in a toga. Photos by Kat.

ROMA set list...
Long Time Gone (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
Athena "Minerva" (The Who)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
Stonehenge (Spinal Tap)
Wild Horses (Rolling Stones)
*You Don't Know How It Feels (Tom Petty)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Take Me To The River (Al Green)
The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)
Man On the Moon (R.E.M.)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Big thanks to all you Romans who helped support my show. I salute you!
Angelia Rees, Garnet Psaltery, Tonina Rodenberger, Airedale Magic, Kat Claxton, Celeste Ewing, Melanippe Karas, TheaDee, Barbara Mixemup, and my great manager and friend Maali Beck!



Triana's Music Trivia 8th Anniversary Party
Later that day, I did a live show for the eight anniversary of Triana's Music Trivia (and also celebrating Triana's 9th rezday). There's no one that reads this blog who doesn't know by now that Triana Caldera is the best friend of Kat and myself in Second Life. Ever since we first found her Sunday evening music trivia game in SL back in late 2006, we've rarely missed a single week, and many of our closest pals in SL are those with whom we hang out at TMT. For each of the past five years, I've performed a live show to celebrate the anniversary of Triana's Music Trivia, which just passed eight years total... a long time by any standard, and inarguably ancient in Second Life.

As usual per these special events, Triana held her trivia game an hour early at 6PM, and we started the show at 7PM. I always try and do some special stuff for these shows at TMT, and Sunday's party was no exception.

Friends make life worthwhile. Photo by Kat.

Oh, I forgot to mention; it was Underwear Night. We generally tend wear clothing on our avatar asses at Triana's Music Trivia.

TMT 8th Anniversary set list...
WTMT in Minnesota Opening Theme (arranged by Zak Claxton)
*Doin' Time (Sublime)
A Day in the Life (Beatles)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
Boyz in the Hood (Dynamite Hack)
*Let My Love Open the Door (Pete Townshend)
*Some Like it Hot (Power Station)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
Triana (Zak Claxton)
You Don't Know How It Feels (Tom Petty)
*Some Things I Can't Say (They Stole My Crayon)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
WTMT in Minnesota Closing Theme (arranged by Zak Claxton)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Thanks to our great TMT peeps for another year of super fun and friendship! Hugs and kisses to those who supported the show!
Nakira Tennen, Alchemy Epstein, Jordan Hazlitt, MrNoCal Honey, Samantha Poindexter, Diana Renoir, Kat Claxton, and the always lovely hostess with the hidden holes, Triana Caldera!

No comments: