Friday, January 3, 2014

Crystal Gardens City (01.02.14)


For my very first show of 2014, it didn't seem like the gods of technology were going to be smiling on me for the new year. I was seeing lots of reports on Facebook about people not being able to get into Second Life, or having it function properly for those who did make it in. Lovely! But as anyone who knows me is fully aware, I do not let that stuff bother me in the slightest. Granted, I'd prefer that Second Life work all the time, but no one who's been there for seven-plus years as I have has any reasonable expectation of top-notch performance from SL. It's life, or at least Second Life; sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and it's less often in your control as you'd like to believe.

My view from the new stage at Crystal Gardens City. Photo and top photo by Kat.

Anyway, the show at Crystal Gardens City turned out just fine. Great, in fact. I couldn't rez things or make my guitar animation work properly, but no one seemed to give a shit (least of all me). I didn't have any other musical support for my show either, but despite all the reasons it should have bombed, we ended up with a nice crowd and people seemed to be having a really good time (as was I). I performed on a new stage that Sandi, Mikal, and Rina had just put up, and the overall vibe was very cool. I have to say, I really find that I enjoy performing there every time. The look and feel of a virtual venue shouldn't impact my performance at all, but I swear, it really does. That sounds crazy to folks outside of SL, but that's really how it is.

Crystal Gardens City set list...

On A Plain (Nirvana)
Is She Really Going Out with Him (Joe Jackson)
Go Easy on Me (Zak Claxton)
Things Under Trees (They Stole My Crayon)
What I've Got (Sublime)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Mexican Radio (Wall of Voodoo)
Every Breath You Take (The Police)
Lost Cause (Beck)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Shock the Monkey (Peter Gabriel)
A Case of You (Joni Mitchell)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)

Big thanks to all who somehow made it into SL and helped support my show!
Triana Caldera, Marina Sharpshire, Richy Nervous, Cicadetta Stillwater, Aurelie Chenaux, Rina Miles, Diana Renoir, Kat Claxton, Allegra Genira, my great manager Maali Beck, and Crystal Gardens owners Sandi and Mikal Beaumont!

No comments: