Friday, October 10, 2014

Solar Winds (10.09.14)


I've mentioned many, many times that I like any opportunity to perform at a Second Life venue that is new for me. I was excited, therefore, when I saw my manager Maali Beck add a show at Solar Winds to my schedule. I'd gone and checked out the place. Cool build, on a sim that looked like it was in a bubble in deep space. Right on.

But sometimes, the gods of music decide that a challenge is required, lest the mortal musician become too complacent in his/her ways. So, what seemed to happen to me on an otherwise fine Thursday was that I ate lunch and... well, things started going less well after that. Basically, without going into TMI detail, I had a stomach issue throughout the afternoon, and for a short while, considered canceling the show. But sometimes, you just have to push past whatever is bothering you and keep a stiff upper lip and persevere and never surrender and all those cliches, and just try and do the show. What's the worst that could happen? I'd have to end early? Not a big deal, and fortunately, right around the time I was starting my first tune, my tummy started feeling better and the show went just fine. See? Being my first time at a new place, I decided to keep my set list fresh as well with a couple of tunes I'd never played before, both also happening to be songs that have just been released (or in one case, yet to be released).

Solar Winds set list...
Shame Chamber (Kurt Vile)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Blew The Dust Away (They Stole My Crayon)
*Low Key (Tweedy)
Wonderwall (Oasis)
Sleeper in the Valley (Laura Veirs)
Things Under Trees (They Stole My Crayon)
California (Joni Mitchell)
Say Goodbye (Beck)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
*Here I Land (Nicholas Stevenson)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Tribute (Tenacious D)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Big thanks to Solar Winds for inviting me to perform there, and to the folks who helped support my debut show!
Noma Falta, Sesh Kamachi, Aurelie Chenaux, Christine Haiku, and my always-great manager Maali Beck!

No comments: