Monday, January 17, 2022

Terry's Place (01.16.22)

A fun Sunday afternoon, rocking at Terry's Place. Photo by Kat.


Hello you. I'll tell you about my show at Terry's Place, which went really well and was fun, but I'm also going to start with various random things, as I tend to do. We'll get the to the show eventually.

Good Job, Las Vegas Raiders
In as much as I had hopes that the Raiders could get their first playoff win since the 2002-2003 season, it was not to be. However, this team was never supposed to even be close to the playoffs. An unplanned coaching change in midseason? A team torn by the turmoil of a star wideout facing murder charges? An NFL record six walk-off games, all won with no time on the clock? My genuine opinion is had the Raiders somehow made it past a scrappy Bengals squad, they never would have handled an opponent like the Bills or Chiefs. Anyway, it was a super entertaining season (and I can now watch the rest of the playoffs with much less stress, with my team not being part of it), and I'm already pumped for next year.

Yes, I'd have preferred a win, but just getting back to the playoffs was way better than what I'd expected. Here's to next year, Raider Nation!


Omicron Days
Maybe it's just me, but it kind of feels like most people are pretty much giving up on fighting COVID. I supposed after almost two years, it's understandable that a certain sort of person just accepts defeat. Like many areas of the USA, Los Angeles County has seen a massive surge in cases in recent weeks, and while hospitalizations and deaths are down due to a large percentage of the population being vaccinated, some people are still not taking the basic precautionary measures to avoid this shitty illness. We now have 2.26 million cases in LA County, and 28,059 deaths. The United States has seen 65.8 million cases and 850,000 deaths since this shit started. Well, the rest of you people might have thrown in the towel and waved the white flag, but not this guy! I'm triple-vaxxed, I'm masked up in all public situations, and I'm going to do everything possible to get through this unscathed. If I still end up getting it, it won't be because I didn't do everything in my power to win this war.

COVID-19 new cases here in LA County. Look at that spike that started in mid-December. It's literally the worst point ever in the entire pandemic. Thankfully, most of these cases are mild and the death rate is much lower compared to 2020 and 2021. Data from the New York Times.


Visiting Family
On Saturday January 14, we were finally able to go visit my elderly mom and her husband, and do a belated holiday gift-giving and dinner. It was my first time seeing them in person in exactly two years, despite them living just a half hour south of here in San Pedro. Everyone there, which included my niece and my step-brother, was vaccinated and had tested negative for COVID. It was great to see them all. We had a good time, and did it safely in a way that didn't imperil the old folks.

In addition to human family, I got to see this giant doofus as well. Good boy, Atticus.



And Now, The Show
Terry's Place in Second Life always has a nice, relaxed vibe. I've played there several times now and always really enjoy the setting of the venue and the people who come see live music there. We didn't have a huge crowd, but those who were there seemed to really enjoy it. The venue usually features me every few months as part of their "Sunday Showcase" events that are presented by the SL Enquirer.

Ninja Antwoord, who runs the place, told me on my first outing there that he enjoys '90s alt rock, and I tend to build my set lists there using that genre as a starting point. For whatever reason, both my voice and in particular my guitar were cooperating very nicely on Sunday. That's not always the case, of course, so I appreciate it when it happens.

Still rocking my mask in SL, just life real life. It will be a great day when I remove it, because that will indicate that I'm cool without it in real life as well. Photo by Kat.

It was cool pulling out some of my more rare tunes. The list of songs I do in Second Life is now well over 600 songs deep, and I really should make it a point to play some of those deeper cuts more often than I do. Photo by Kat.

All of my previous shows at Terry's Place had been on a smaller outdoor stage. This time, it was at a neat snow lodge. I enjoyed the change of scenery. Photo by Kat.

I've said it many times... I don't need a giant crowd to have a great show in SL. Everyone there was having a good time, and I'll play at Terry's Place anytime they want to have me back. Photo by Kat.


This show couldn't have happened at a better time for me. It's been a super crazy time at work in recent weeks, and it's been rare that I've had an entire day off, weekend or otherwise. Having this show on Sunday allowed me to stop worrying about deadlines for a good chunk of the day, focusing instead on just performing live music. That really helped lower my overall stress level, and I feel better going into another busy week having done this show.

Terry's Place set list...
Vasoline (Stone Temple Pilots)
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
Jaywalker (Andy Shauf)
No One Knows (Queens of the Stone Age)
I’ve Been Waiting for You (Neil Young)
Low Key (Tweedy)
Nobody Home (Pink Floyd)
Doctor. My Eyes (Jackson Browne)
Nearly Lost You (Screaming Trees) 
Pretty Pimpin (Kurt Vile)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
*Show Ending Terry's Place Improv (Zak Claxton)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Huge thanks to all who came by, with special thanks to the following who helped support the show!
RamblinrozeSpiritweaver Resident, EzSilver Resident, Twostep SpiritWeaver, Bee Blackrain, ChristineAntwoord Resident, OooDonnaooO Resident, Harlow Davi, Trouble Streeter, Kat Claxton, my terrific manager Maali Beck, show sponsor the SL Enquirer, and Terry's Place head honcho Ninja Antwoord!

No comments: