Sunday, February 20, 2022

Zak Claxton Happy Fun Show on Bandcamp (02.19.22)

Here's the entire show, unedited and uncut, if you wanna.

For the uninitiated: the Zak Claxton Happy Fun Show has been the name of any of my live video streaming performances going back many years, and happening across many online platforms. According to my records -- and yes, I document these things like any good insane person does -- the very first one was on February 6, 2010. Oddly enough, looking at the set list from that livestream video performance almost exactly 12 years ago, several of the songs were among those I chose for this show. There's a reason for that which we'll get to shortly.

Anyway, that first show -- done on a platform called Ustream which was pretty hip and new at the time -- went well enough that I scheduled another one that month, and kept them up for a good while. I also expanded into other livestream platforms, doing shows on StageIt, Streamjam, Facebook Live, and probably other things I've long since forgotten or no longer exist. I've probably done about 40 of these shows in total.

Looking quite serious while hitting that Cmaj7.


How To & Review: Bandcamp Livestreaming
So, as a livestreaming music performance veteran, I can actually give you some pointers and compare/contrast the experience on Bandcamp versus other platforms. I give Bandcamp a solid B+ (and no platform has been great enough for an A grade from me, so this is really good). If you're interested in doing your own livestream show on Bandcamp, it's similar to other platforms. Bandcamp has a full tutorial about it available. My short version is below.

1. Use a solid audio/video streaming broadcast software like OBS.
I was already familiar with OBS; it's become a standard for independent broadcasters like me, and is very popular among the podcasting/Twitch crowd. It has powerful and flexible features, and it's an open source software that is free. Seem too good to be true? It's not. OBS does everything that most people need, as well as many advanced features that most won't use but are nice to have around in case you do. Bandcamp themselves recommend OBS, so go get it (and it works great on both Windows and Mac).

OBS is fantastic. You can set up scenes like the one I have above for "ZCHFS on Bandcamp" where all my settings and audio interface/camera connections are saved. Next time I do a show there, I am one click away from starting my broadcast.

2. Set up your video and audio tools.
This is not a thorough tutorial... there are are tons of great videos on YouTube on best ways to setup your stuff for live video shows. But the short version is that your connected audio interface and camera should be automatically recognized by OBS. Get a good audio signal (loud but not distorted), get a good video scene (minimally making sure you're well lit... I opened a window shade). Bandcamp will provide a server and a stream key; you'll plug both into your OBS setup.

3. Test your stuff.
Bandcamp is super smart; you can't even schedule a show until you test your setup and make sure video and audio are working as planned. Assuming you get sound and picture to work, you can schedule the show in Bandcamp and continue to test as much as you want. Like any show, your attendance will only be as good as you are capable of promoting the show in your various ways. When the show is ready to begin, hit the "Start Show" button on your livestream page and that's it. You're live.

Once your show is scheduled, it will appear on Bandcamp's list of upcoming live streams.



What Good About Bandcamp for Livestreaming?
  • Set up a virtual merch table and sell music that you have available on Bandcamp.
  • Sell other merchandise items... physical media, t-shirts and so on.
  • Get tipped through the same interface you use to sell music.
  • No ads or other pop ups to interrupt the audience.
  • Built-in live chat with fans and random audience members.
  • Nice clear image and sound (contingent on the quality of the stream, of course).
  • Your video gets recorded and can be downloaded after the show ends.

What's Less Good? 
Just one thing, and there's no way around it. Bandcamp requires registration on their platform to view the show. It's such a small thing, and yet it can be just enough to stop a person from impulsively watching your set with one click. Some people just don't want to register/login for just about anything. I'm not blaming Bandcamp for this issue; I'm blaming human nature.

On Facebook, I could go live right now and have easy access to potentially thousands of people who might watch my show with minimal effort, getting a little notification that "Zak Claxton is Live"... but I also have very little means to monetize a Facebook show without outright begging for tips to my PayPal or Venmo or whatever. Also, Bandcamp is an actual music platform, while Facebook is a completely evil company wringing the life out of every one of its users. It's total shit, and I don't like encouraging its use, to be honest. 

All that being said, I did sell several albums at my show yesterday. Bandcamp is smart for doing it the way they do, and I'll be doing more shows there in the future.

"Allow me to interrupt my own set with this irrelevant story," he said, gesturing wildly.


Any Notes on the Show?
Yeah, just a couple of them. I focused mostly on original music, which makes sense because that stuff -- both my solo album and music by They Stole My Crayon -- is available for sale right there on the Bandcamp platform. Since I planned a couple of covers, I was also able to include the music of other artists on my merch table, which felt like the right thing to do.

A cover I hadn't planned on doing but added for sad reasons was "It’s Easy (Like Walking)", the collaboration between The Sadies and Kurt Vile from 2017 that I liked so much. A couple of days before my show, Dallas Good of The Sadies died very unexpectedly at age 48 from a heart condition of which he'd only just become aware. I felt compelled to give some tribute to the man and his great band by doing the tune, and I'm glad I did. In fact, I'm bizarrely proud that YouTube flagged my video of the show with a copyright claim on that very song, meaning I did it so well that a robot thought it was a little too good.

I did promise the show would be fun. I meant for me, but hopefully you too.


ZCHFS on Bandcamp set list...
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
It’s Easy (Like Walking) (The Sadies/Kurt Vile)
Longing On (They Stole My Crayon)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Garter Snake (Macie Stewart)
Blew The Dust Away (They Stole My Crayon)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Hannah Sun (Lomelda)
Box by the Cliff (They Stole My Crayon)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Things Under Trees (They Stole My Crayon)
*Zak Claxton on Bandcamp Improv (Zak Claxton)

*Indicates the first performance of this song.

Huge thanks to all who hung out for the show, and special giant thanks to those who helped support it!

No comments: