Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rocking SL5B... twice (06.27.08)

I had a great time on Friday, when I ended up doing two shows of sorts for Second Life's fifth birthday -- an unscheduled informal show for my friends hanging around SL5B, as well as my actual show on the main stage later that night.


Playing at Bibi Ballinger's fun Music Bus stage near the SLMC area.

I'd just stopped by the campground area to see if any of my pals were there, and I was happy to run into Bibi Ballinger, Sally Silvera, Doubledown Tandino, BabbleGrabble Swindlehurst and some other folks. Someone (Sally, maybe) mentioned that someone should play, and since I had to get warmed up for my show anyway, I opted to take the little stage. After getting the stream sorted out, I started in on some silliness. In fact, I realized that Kat would enjoy seeing this, so during the show, I called Kat live on the air and told her to come over.

Audio Sample: Calling Kat


Evil Zak embarrasses Sally by mentioning her in various songs.


Kat arrives in Sillyville and dances while Bibi practices some form of martial arts.

Then I did a few more tunes, and I think everyone had fun.

The set list:

*Impromptu SL Pals Blues (Zak Claxton)
Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (The Police)
She's Leaving Home (The Beatles)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
For the Turnstiles (Neil Young)
Plush (Stone Temple Pilots)
What I Got (Sublime)
Tribute (Tenacious D)

*Indicates first time I've played this song in SL

And thanks to Sally and Babble for the tips, you silly people!


At 8:00, Zak takes the main stage at SL5B.

I was needlessly nervous about playing the main stage at SL5B, but that's congruent with my silly fear of playing at new places, be they in real life or SL. Once I play a venue, I'm fine, but the first time usually gives me the willies, at least until I step on stage and I realize that it's a show like any other show. Then I'm perfectly fine.

I had a pretty decent crowd... between the four sims where the stage was positioned, I had about 100 total folks over the course of the show. I was happy that a good chunk of my own mighty fan base was there. It's always great to see their familiar faces, even in unfamiliar surroundings.


People boogie while Zak rocks SL5B.

Song Sample: "Thanks Anyway" (Zak Claxton)

The set list:

*Happy Birthday SL (Zak Claxton)
Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
California (Joni Mitchell)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie / Nirvana cover)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Accidents Will Happen (Elvis Costello)
Free Man in Paris (Joni Mitchell)
Old Man (Neil Young)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Soul Kitchen (The Doors)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)

*Indicates first time I've played this song in SL

Thanks to the following folks who supported my show:
Kali Dharma, Alchemy Epstein, Nakira Tennen, Steam Voom, EvaMoon Ember, Sandi Benelli, Arcadia Jonson, Triana Caldera, Gage Goodliffe, Crystalize Sands, Grateful Stryker, Alfie Loire, Kat Claxton, and Harrie Skjellerup.

No comments: