Friday, July 29, 2011

The Majestic (07.28.11)



I've been performing at The Majestic in Second Life every other Thursday at 6PM for the last couple of months now, and despite the challenge of the 6PM time slot in SL (where there seems to be hundreds of different shows happening at once), I'm starting to get a groove rolling. Even though I'm still getting over the tail end of a flu-like illness and didn't have the level of energy I usually exhibit (possibly a good thing, now that I think about it), last night's show was quite decent, and there's an interesting reason why this is so.

Who's In Your Crowd?
I can't speak for all musicians in SL... no one can. It's a highly varied group of individuals, just like musicians in the fleshy world. However, in my experience, having a lively and engaged audience produces the best shows. That doesn't mean the biggest audiences, per se; it means that however many people you have there, that they are talkative, responsive to the songs you're doing, and making the experience fun for everyone. Now, I'm well aware that there are some artists who want to be taken very seriously, and that's fine. Perhaps those folks would be offended by the audience chatting during their songs, or just politely applauding after each tune. But I can't stand SL shows where people are deathly quiet. It makes me think that they're busy checking Facebook instead of being involved in the show.

So, my favorite shows happen when we get a collection of witty people in the house, and then it's a two-way street. The audience entertains me, and I, in turn, am energized to perform better for them. My Zaksters who come to most of my shows all qualify, and there are many others who make shows all the more fun when they pop up.

The lovely EvaMoon Ember. Having my fellow SL musicians in my crowd is always a plus. I also consider many of them as good friends. Photo by Kat.



Xerxes Ninetails (left) with Crap Mariner (right). Two of the kind of people who make shows fun for everyone. Photo by Kat.



Majestic Set List...
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
The Weight (The Band)
Furry Sings the Blues (Joni Mitchell)
Tea in the Sahara (The Police)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
†Sister Golden Hair (America)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
The Worst (Rolling Stones)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Woodstock (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)

†My last performance of "Sister Golden hair" in SL was on January 4, 2009. Coincidentally, it was also at the San Diego City sim. I played this in tribute to Dan Peek, America founding member, who passed away last weekend.

Thanks to everyone who came out to the Majestic, especially those who supported the show! See you back there in a couple of weeks (Aug. 11)!
Diana Renoir, EvaMoon Ember, Crap Mariner, Aurelie Chenaux, TheaDee, Kat Claxton, Xerxes Ninetails, and Majestic hostess Tialicia Muircastle!

No comments: