Friday, July 1, 2011

The Majestic (06.30.11)



As you probably know by now, a couple of weeks ago I started my new regular slot at The Majestic, a fine venue on the San Diego City sim in SL where I hadn't played for the two previous years. It wasn't a very auspicious return; I'd completely forgotten that the 6PM weeknight slot in Second Life is insanely packed with shows. In fact, before my show last night, I took a peek at the other live music events that were scheduled at the same time as mine. Holy crap!

I like many of these artists and the venues where they're playing, but damn! It's hard to try and round up a crowd at the 6PM time slot with all these choices.



That having been said, my second show of my new regular slot at the Majestic ended up being terrific. We didn't have a gigantic crowd, but it was respectable for the 6PM slot... quite a bit bigger than last time, and the folks who were there were engaging and obviously having fun. Really, I don't ask for anything other than that... my audience talking and laughing, and everyone having a good time. It's as important to me that they enjoy the vibe of the show as they do the actual music. Sure, it's nice when I pull off a great performance or two and get my ego stroked by folks who get immersed in the music, but ultimately what it's really all about, especially in SL, is for folks to walk away having had a smile on their face for the last hour, and I don't care what inspires that. Sometimes it's hearing a song they love, but often it's also the banter between my crazy Zakster fans that makes the event worthwhile.

My view. I really think we'll continue building a regular crowd to come see me every other Thursday evening at the Majestic. Fun place, good staff, nice vibe. Show photos by Kat.



Speaking of the music, though... one nice thing about having a big repertoire is that I can go many shows without playing the same songs twice (though I obviously tend to pull out a few of my originals that come up at nearly every show). I also try and constantly add new material, which keeps it interesting both for myself and my fans. We pulled out a new one last night, and also did an original that I'd kept in the drawer for quite some time. In any case, I'm back at the Majestic in two weeks (Thu 7/14 at 6PM), so we'll have a new batch of tunes to try at that show.

The Majestic Set List...
Change (Tears for Fears)
Polly (Nirvana)
Time Never Waits for You (Zak Claxton)
*Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Starman (David Bowie)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
I Am the Walrus (Beatles)
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (The Police)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Black Peter (Grateful Dead)
Soul Kitchen (The Doors)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL. Coincidentally, this was the first time I'd ever performed any Van Morrison song in SL. Pretty weird, huh? I have no idea why this is the case. Van is cool and people love his music.

Huge thanks to everyone who supported my show!
Alchemy Epstein, Uma Carlucci, shoota Waves, Alexis Fairlady, Horizon Darkstone, Triana Caldera, TheaDee, Kat Claxton, my terrific manager Maali Beck, Majestic hostess Tialicia Muircastle, Majestic manager Kalli Birman, and owner Ayesha Lytton!

No comments: