Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Key West (02.20.12)


I never, ever have a bad show at Key West in Second Life, and I honestly don't know why.

This brings us to a tangent (after one sentence, Zak? Really?). The process of analyzing everything in your life can actually be detrimental to enjoying life itself. If you spend time picking apart each success and each failure, that's time not spent creating more things and having new experiences. So -- back to my little story -- when I note that I seem to always have particularly good shows at Key West, it really doesn't matter why. Sure, it's a nice-looking place. Sure, I tend to get good-sized and enthusiastic crowds there. And it's also obvious that owner Liz Harley and her staff do a terrific job. But none of those qualities are hardly unique to Key West; there are a good number of other venues in SL that fit a similar description. So, I'm happy just to accept that it's a great place to play, and always look forward to my next gig there.

Me, doing my thing. Photo by Kat.


It was an overcast wintery day in real life, so why not in SL too? Photo by Kat.


Anyway, the show was really good. As has happened many times at shows in SL, the crowd was very light when I was getting started, but over the first few minutes of the show, we had people appearing in droves. I was particularly pleased since there was no one playing directly before or after me at Key West, so anyone who was there was specifically there to see/hear me. That's a good feeling.

Key West is a great place to play live music in any season. Photo by Kat.


I pulled out a couple of songs I've never done before in SL, including one song I'd never played anywhere before in any world (virtual or otherwise). Since it was the birthday of Kurt Cobain, I did a Nirvana song I'd never played in my life... not that it went very well. One should probably practice a song more than once before performing it in front of a live audience, but hey, Kurt wouldn't have minded. This I know for sure.

Key West Set List...

Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (The Police)
*All Apologies (Nivana)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Caxton)
Court & Spark (Joni Mitchell)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Carey (Joni Mitchell)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
*Allentown (Billy Joel)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Many, many thanks to everyone who came to my show, especially those who helped support it!
Maximillion Kleene, FatebyChance, ChrysTeRox, AnenomeSweet Pippen, Borealis Hammerer, TheaDee, Grace McDunnough, Aurelie Chenaux, Brynn Barthelemy, Gideon McMillan, Kat Claxton, Spiral Silverstar, my manager Maali Beck, and Key West owner Liz Harley!

No comments: