Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Bean Counter (05.12.12)


Ah, real life. I remember you, with your bright lights and crosswalks. Your PA systems and guitar cases and cables. It had been far too long since I performed in the flesh, so I scheduled a semi-random Saturday afternoon show at my local coffee place, The Bean Counter here in Redondo Beach, CA.

In one aspect, I could sit here and complain about the show. First, we were supposed to do a simulcast on Ustream, but time after time, the Ustream servers kept losing the connection. We stopped bothering with it after awhile. Second, even for a Saturday, the Bean Counter was unusually quiet that day, so we only had a small crowd there during the show. However, none of that matters. We all had fun, and it was actually a great way to dip my toe back in the pool of live in-person performances.

The set was completely random; I'd intended on putting together more of a specific set list well in advance of the show, but I decided instead to just grab my entire massive stack of lyrics, and make it an impromptu performance instead.

Set List for The Bean Counter...
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Beatles)
Losing My Religion (R.E.M.)
Jane (Barenaked Ladies)
For the Turnstiles (Neil Young)
Sour Girl (Stone Temple Pilots)
About a Girl (Nirvana)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
Oh Susannah (Traditional, arr. Zak Claxton)
Here Comes the Sun (Beatles)
Old Man (Neil Young)
Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan)

I ended up playing for over an hour and I'm really glad I did. I can pretty much guarantee you that I'll be doing some more live shows in the near future. Meanwhile, enjoy the video that Kat shot of me doing "Falling Down" at the Bean Counter below.

No comments: