Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Music & Video: "Eclipse (Stolen by the Sun)"


Many people think that I only strum acoustic guitars and sing songs of yore. Then again, many people think that whales are fish and that the Earth is 6,000 years old. I'm not saying these are the same people; in fact, I've barely given that first group a chance to learn some more about the types of music I play. The second group I can't help.

After my amazing night on Saturday watching Roger Waters perform "The Wall Live" at the Coliseum, we were pretty burned out on Sunday. We relaxed much of the day until about 5:30, when I grabbed my camera and went outside to see what was going on with the annular solar eclipse that was visible from here on the West Coast of the USA. On a whim, I decided to let the camera run for awhile, pointed in the general vicinity of the sun. After it started getting lower on the horizon, I moved to a different location and kept filming.

Later on, I was looking at the footage that I'd edited, sped up, filtered, and messed with in many ways. I was thinking that it would be cool to run it with some kind of ambient music happening under it, but I didn't want to just start randomly borrowing (i.e., stealing) someone else's music. So, I opened up some digital audio software and made my own.

Anyway, I know it might surprise some folks who only know me as a writer/player of more organic sounds. The reality is that while I choose to perform as an acoustic singer-songwriter because it's one style I enjoy, I have spent years and years writing, recording, and playing everything from metal to progressive rock to jazz to classical to funk... there's really no musical genre that I can't dig in some way. Speaking of which, please enjoy the video and the song -- which I've called "Eclipse (Stolen by the Sun)" -- that it inspired below.

No comments: