Sunday, February 17, 2013

Boom Pony Beach (02.15.13)


If you've followed this blog at all, you're already aware that I really enjoy performing at places in SL where I haven't played before. There's a number of reasons for this, but the main (and most obvious) one is that it represents an opportunity for me to introduce myself and my music to new people who may find that they like what they're hearing.

In the case of the Boom Pony, I'd been aware of the venue for quite some time. It seemed that a lot of SL's more well-known musicians had played there over the last couple of years, but for whatever reason, I'd never made a connection there. Fortunately, I got called up as a last-minute replacement at the Boom's special Beatlefest event (A Day on Abbey Road) a couple weeks ago, and perhaps as a return favor, the ladies who run the place (Andi Karsin and Kiran Sporg) booked me for a show on Friday night.


Rocking on the beach... always a good time. Photo and top photo by Kat.


And a nearly identical photo from Triana. I think my fans are running out of ways to make me look interesting. I know I gave up on this effort years ago.

I was happy to be there. While most people seem to think I'm always 100% comfortable when I perform, I do tend to get some nerves going when I play a new venue for the first time. Despite having the support of my great longterm fans no matter where I play, there's always an element of the unknown. Will the people who run the place like my stuff? Will there be people there who are unfamiliar with my music but willing to listen and give me a chance? Fortunately, we had a decent-sized crowd there comprised of Zaksters and other folks brought in by the venue, and I felt good from the start. Since it was Valentine's Day the day before, the club had made romance their theme of the week, and that was good, too; it allowed me to have a focus for the list of songs I'd be playing.

Boom Pony Beach set list...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Afternoon Delight (Starland Vocal Band)
Court and Spark (Joni Mitchell)
*In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
Beyond the Blue (Martina McBride)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Better Man (Pearl Jam)
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon)
Breaking Us In Two (Joe Jackson)
Harvest Moon (Neil Young)
Help Me (Joni Mitchell)
About a Girl (Nirvana)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Big thanks to everyone who attended my debut at the Boom, especially those who helped support the show!
jaci Wylder, Yanne Proudfoot, Diana Renoir, Diane Fairplay, Triana Caldera, Richy Nervous, Xerxes Ninetails, Aria Toussaint, TheaDee, Kat Claxton, my manager Maali Beck, and the Boom's awesome owners, Andi Karsin and Kiran Sporg!

No comments: