Sunday, August 11, 2013

Relay for Life Wrap-Up Event (08.10.13)


This show, the wrap-up event for the 2013 season of Relay for Life in Second Life, was unexpectedly cool. I have to admit, after doing a pretty heavy schedule of charitable event performances this year already, I wasn't exactly jumping at the opportunity to do yet one more. But I rarely turn down shows for RFL, and I'm very glad I chose to do this one. First, it was cool seeing all the folks who were involved in the many fundraising teams together at the same place and time. I've done shows for many of their respective teams over the years. Also, hearing them talk before my show about the record breaking year they had in donations was encouraging and inspiring for future years (and yes, they were already talking about the plans and themes for the 2014 RFL season).

Nothing wrong with curing cancer while rocking a big SL crowd. I'd do it every Saturday if I could. Photo and top photo by Kat.

People seemed to be enjoying themselves. Photo by Kat.

The build for the event was pretty cool in and of itself. Photo by Kat.

In addition to all those noble reasons for being involved, I selfishly have to admit that starting my show to over 100 avatars gathered on a multi-sim build didn't suck at all. I kept the show itself pretty basic, doing a few of my own more well-known tunes, and with the knowledge that it was being simulcast on T1 Radio, I also stuck toward the more classic rock end of my musical spectrum.

RFL 2013 Wrap Up set list...
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
Is She Really Going Out With Him (Joe Jackson)
After The Goldrush (Neil Young)
Accidents Will Happen (Elvis Costello)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Free man in Paris (Joni Mitchell)
A Day in the Life (Beatles)

Thanks to everyone who hung out for the show at the 2013 RFL wrap-up, and bigger thanks to everyone who puts in their effort to help make RFL in SL so successful year in and year out!

No comments: