Monday, August 26, 2013

Serene Acoustic Lounge JDRF Benefit (08.22.13)


I apologize for the out-of-order blog post here. No one notices this but me, and yet I feel compelled to explain that after Thursday night's special JDRF benefit show at Serene Acoustic Lounge, I was unfortunately feeling pretty ill all day on Friday. I got over that to go see Steely Dan with Kat on Saturday night, and then just kind of lolled around yesterday. And now, here we are on Monday, and I'm finally getting to writing my little report, as I do. But, you know, "better late than never" is true in most circumstances.

My friend Barbie Horsley, who is perhaps better known as Sassy Nitely in Second Life, has a child who is about the same age as my own son. A couple of years ago, Barbie went through something that is every parent's nightmare: her son was diagnosed with a serious disease in the form of diabetes type 1. As her friend (and a fellow parent and musician), it was always my hope that I could do something to help in some small way. The good news is that Barbie and her son have courageously and aggressively fought against the disease, and he seems like he'll be just fine. That having been said, he still needs plenty of support, so when Barbie asked if I'd be interested in performing at a benefit she'd put together to raise funds for the juvenile diabetes foundation, I couldn't say yes quickly enough.

Here's a video that Barbie made in 2012 regarding her son and sponsorships for the JDRF:


Having been involved in the SL music scene for years, Barbie knows what helps make an effective benefit show. One thing is to have short sets, so each performer can pull in his or her fans, and then the next person can bring theirs, and so on. Each slot at the JDRF benefit was 30 minutes, which was perfect. Despite the usual round of technical problems that can happen at just about any SL show, everyone had high spirits. I performed in between Quantamis Navarathna and TerryLynn Melody, two other musicians who I know well, and things couldn't have gone better.

Photo by Kat.

Photo by Kat.

Photo by Kat.

The concert ended up being an insane success, with over L$100,000 being raised over the course of the day (roughly $400 USD).

Serene JDRF set list...
I Am A Child (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Tempted (Squeeze)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)

Huge thanks to my friends and fans who came out and helped support this great cause! You're making a difference in a kid's life... feel good about it!

No comments: