Sunday, March 23, 2014

SL Buddy Walk for Down Syndrome Awareness (03.21.14)


I do plenty of gigs for charities in SL, and it's always important to me to feel like I'm giving back to others with my music. After all, one needs to balance the karma scales of this life as a virtual rock star with all the accompanying fame and fortune. So, although for years I've done shows for various kinds of charitable organizations, this was my first invite to the SL Buddy Walk, which is now in its sixth year. The event was scheduled on the day of national Down Syndrome awareness, and was established to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome. In Second Life, it's also a good fundraising event. I was happy to participate.

Selfishly, I also must admit I enjoyed getting onstage right after my pal Max Kleene; needless to say, there was a nice big crowd there, and quite a few Zakster fans came along to add to the party. I tried to have a theme of tunes that were appropriate for the situation, and I think things went pretty well. Photos by Kat.



SL Buddy Walk 2014 set list...
I Am a Child (Neil Young)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Swing Lo Magellan (Dirty Projectors)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
I Dreamed a Dram (Les Miserables)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
Just Like Starting Over (John Lennon)
Pigs on the Wing - Parts I and II (Pink Floyd)
Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
You've Got a Friend (Carole King)

Huge thanks to all the generous people who supported the SL Buddy Walk and the National Down Syndrome Society! You rule!

No comments: