Monday, September 29, 2014

Feed-a-Smile/Lavender Field (09.27.14)


Any reader of this blog is aware that I've had the pleasure of playing events for the Feed-a-Smile charity at the Lavender Field in Second Life many times since its inception. While I do a good number of charitable benefit shows, there's something special about Feed-a-Smile. Unlike most big organizations, Feed-a-Smile is a small charity that is run by an SL resident, Brique Topaz, and the funds raised go directly to the beneficiaries with no middlemen involved. Brique is the chairwoman for Live and Learn in Kenya, and her mission is simple: funds raised at Second Life events help feed and provide an education environment for kids in Nakuru, Kenya.

Photos by Kat.



It had been far too long since I had the time available to do any sort of benefit show in SL, and I was happy to see that not only me but a couple of my fellow artists from Maali Beck Entertainment -- Taunter Goodnight and Lyndon Heart -- were also scheduled to play. I enjoy weekend shows at the noon hour, which is when I was slated toplay. I can wake up leisurely, enjoy coffee and breakfast, and have plenty of time to get ready and then perform while still having most of the day left to enjoy. I must admit, Saturday's show started slow. Really slow! My first tune was done for four people, and the one thing you want at a fundraising show is people (since they're where the funds come from). But as often is the case, folks gradually meandered in, and I think the day was a success for Brique and Feed-a-Smile (which is all that matters, obviously). Beyond that, I ended up having a good time, and the show itself went just fine. Mission accomplished.

Feed-a-Smile/Lavender Field set list...
I Am A Child (Neil Young)
Things Under Trees (They Stole My Crayon)
Never Run Away (Kurt Vile)
Waking Light (Beck)
Games Without Frontiers (Peter Gabriel)
Sleeper in the Valley (Laura Veirs)
Take Me To The River (Al Green)
Redemption Song (Bob Marley)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield)
Carey (Joni Mitchell)

Thanks to all who helped support this worthwhile cause... you all rock, especially Brique!

No comments: