Saturday, July 8, 2017

Feed-a-Smile 7th Anniversary (07.08.17)

Strumming some songs, feeding some smiles. Photo by Kat Claxton.

The first time I played live music for Brique Zeiner's "Feed-a-Smile" charity was in September 2011. At the time, I really didn't think it much different from any of the other charitable organizations I'd played for, which ranged from the American Cancer Society to the Kidney Foundation to benefits for animals, autism, and more. But as time went by, I began to develop a better understanding of what Feed-a-Smile and the Live and Learn in Kenya foundation that Brique helps run are all about. One thing I like very much is that there's no middleman; Brique physically goes to Kenya and works with the children, and makes arrangements for their feeding and educational facilities. But, somewhat selfishly, it was the second or third time I'd played there, and was surprised by a set of photos showing the kids eating the meals that my show had provided, and a blackboard drawing of me in avatar form with thanks given from the kids, that I really began to think of Feed-a-Smile as something special.

The other nice thing about it is that it's a super easy concept to understand. L$100 (the equivalent of about $0.40 USD) buys one meal for one kid. Want to donate enough for ten kids to get hot meals? That's L$1000, or about four bucks. Easy. People who visit Lavender Field where the Feed-a-Smile events are usually held think of their donations in terms of numbers of meals, and the charity does very well with their fundraising via Second Life as a result.

My view from the stage. Photo by Kat Claxton.

Joined by my buddy Lyndon Heart as I wrapped up my set. Photo by Kat Claxton.

A happy and generous crowd makes for a good day at Lavender Field. Photo by Kat Claxton.

This show happened to be the seventh anniversary of Feed-a-Smile, and two of my fellow performers who are managed by Maali Beck -- Taunter Goodnight and Lyndon Heart -- were scheduled before and after me, which always makes for a fun day. We enjoy each other's material a lot, so it's great to have a good reason to hang out and hear each other's shows. We all had nice-sized crowds during our respective sets, and from what I could tell, the donation kiosks were lighting up pretty constantly during the three hours we played.

Feed-a-Smile set list...
Low Key (Tweedy)
If You Could Only See (Tonic)
California (Joni Mitchell)
I Am a Child (Neil Young)
Teach Your Children (CSNY)
Bertha (Grateful Dead)
Cat's In the Cradle (Harry Chapin)
Thank U (Alanis Morissette)
Every Day I Write the Book (Elvis Costello)
Redemption Song (Bob Marley)
Across the Universe (Beatles)
*Lyndon Heart is a Beautiful Man (Zak Claxton, improv)

Massive thanks to the people who generously donated to the cause during my show, and all year 'round. You are awesome heroes.

1 comment:

Brique Topaz said...

My sincere thanks to Zak and all of the wonderful performers, managers and guests who came out to make this event such a success. We were able to raise enough funds to feed all of the 480 Live and Learn in Kenya Kids for 7 full days of warm meals. Amazing for what some people call a virtual "game". Asante Sana - Thank you so much!
https://youtu.be/yrHOJ8LQN-g