Thursday, May 26, 2022

Random News: May 26, 2022



DISCLAIMER: Zak's Random News is very random and doesn't cover many things, and not everything may be accurate, because I'm just some guy. Go find a real news source.



Good morning. It’s May 26, 2022, and it’s a Thursday. Some stuff…
  • I’m still just seething with rage about the mass shooting in Uvalde, TX. I suppose that’s a natural part of the process of trying to make this make sense, which it does not. I’m not even angry at the fucked up, obviously insane person who pulled the trigger. I’m mad at the deep-rooted system that allowed it to happen.
  • One thing that’s perhaps most infuriating is the news of how law enforcement handled the situation. I’m hesitant to start throwing out accusations, but the idea that the killer was inside that school for a fucking HOUR while the city police waited outside for Federal cops to come do something makes my blood boil.
  • Uvalde, TX has its own SWAT team. Almost half the city’s entire municipal budget goes to its police force. I can’t pass judgement on something I don’t have all the details on, but I can’t imagine any possible situation, including the strong possibility of losing my own life, that would allow me to stand around outside while 8-year-olds were being slaughtered one by one. Parents were begging the cops to do something. They chose not to, and stopped parents who were desperately trying to get in to save their own kids.
  • Last statement for now: there were lots and lots of “good guys with guns” there, before and during the mass murder, and none of them did shit. I believe this needs to be fully investigated and everyone responsible needs to be removed from positions of trust.
  • God bless Beto O’Rourke for standing up to those pricks.
  • Let’s move on for a moment (though this is far from over).
  • There was a series of pretty powerful earthquakes in the past 24 hours. We had a 4.3 here in Southern California at 2:23am. There was a much scarier 7.2 in Peru. A 4.6 in the Philippines. A 5.5 in Mexico. a 5.2 in the Indian Ocean near Sumatra. I don’t ask for much, but if the world could not end for awhile, I’d be grateful.
  • In politics, a large number of the candidates endorsed by the former President lost their primary races, including the people running for governor and secretary of state of Georgia. It’s a big sign that his influence continues to dwindle in places where we was once considered invincible. Good news.
  • Side note: if your wife writes a novel called “How To Murder Your Husband”, don’t be surprised when she indeed murders you. Romance novelist Nancy Brophy was convicted as such yesterday.
  • From the sports desk: the Celtics have taken a 3-2 lead over the Heat in the NBA Eastern Conference Finals. In NFL news, Colin Kaepernick was given a long-overdue chance to work out for the Las Vegas Raiders yesterday. Not sure anything will come of it, but glad that a team is at least allowing him to try.
  • Speaking of sports, I dreamed last night that I was going to play baseball and picked up my bat, but it turned out to be a whale made of brass or pewter. Go ahead and analyze that if you can.
  • Today in history… 1293: an earthquake in Japan killed about 23,000 people. 1865: the last Confederate general surrendered in Galveston, TX. 1897: ‘Dracula’ by Bram Stoker is published. 1967: The Beatles release ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’. 2020: The George Floyd/BLM protests start.
  • May 26 is the birthday of singer Al Jolson (1886), doctor and activist Jack Kevorkian (1928), musician Levon Helm (1940), guitarist Mick Ronson (1943), singer Stevie Nicks (1948), and singer Lenny Kravitz (1964).
I usually end these with some kind of inspirational bullshit, but I’m not quite up to it just yet. Hope your day goes well.

No comments: